Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your Crosscut Sleds

Hello Scott,
    Having a good known true platform - the large sled - makes cutting and fitting a smaller sled a breeze.

Also, using the large sled as a known good reference, I can set the fence true instantly & w/out having to make a lot of adjustments & adjustment cuts.

My first sled has been obsoleted by my Incra 1000SE (and the fact that MDF based jigs don't interact with acceleration and concrete floors ). But after using the heck out of it, my plans for the next sled call for much larger. Right now I'm thinking at least as wide as the saw top and as much front to back size as I can lift without killing myself.

I have a few sleds...2 of them are "Half sled", one is up to 16" wide boards...

And, another one for up to 25" wide boards

I have also another 2 "Normal sleds", one dedicated to 45° cuts for frames...

and the other one, for small pieces (and I mean cutting an 1/2" cube into 2).

Additionally, I have also a "Quick Attach Detach" sliding table for up to 39½" wide board but, I don't use it so much.

My method of building the sled is a "Fail safe" design and the fence will be always at 90° to the miter slot (and the blade)...I never check or adjust the fence...actually, I'm so confident with the method that - on one of the sleds - I just "Super glue" the fence to the sled (the one on the first pic).

Regards
    niki

Big

I have a large cross cut sled that I built and use. It overhangs my TS top by about an inch on each side. I used Maple for the cross pieces. It cuts great.

One word of caution. This thing weighs almost 50 lbs. You have to hulk it up onto the table.

I had bought a commercial sled from a classified ad, for $100, a few years ago. It retailed at that time for over $300. It worked great! Built like a brick S_house if you know what I mean. It was heavy like one too. Too heavy and too large to store easily in a small shop. I sold it for $90 and bought the Incra miter express. I already had the 1000SE. It works great for angles and small pieces. For larger pieces I use the panel cut off sled that Norm uses. It is light and easy to handle. This set up works well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Hanby View Post
    My first sled has been obsoleted by my Incra 1000SE (and the fact that MDF based jigs don't interact with acceleration and concrete floors ). But after using the heck out of it, my plans for the next sled call for much larger. Right now I'm thinking at least as wide as the saw top and as much front to back size as I can lift without killing myself.
    Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic