Thread: Waxilit

Waxilit

Has anyone used this product, Waxilit, from Lee Valley? I know that Lee Valley is known for having quality products but I don't recall seeing much of anything written about this particular product. I'm curious to find out how well it works.

I have used waxilit and still have a gallon can left over. Waxilit has a pretty watery consistency and does not 'dry'. I think it is more appropriate for industrial applications where it is continously applied. I remember using it on large molding equipment, but that was 25 years ago. So when I found it here, I bought some for my shop. It works well, BUT since it does not dry, it will combine with dust etc and leave a film. I think it is a good product for equipment that is used daily, but not for occasional use in a hobby shop.

After trying out pretty much every kind of surface treatment, I am now just using Johnson's paste wax. Works just as good, easy to apply and a lot cheaper.
    Cheers,
    Bernhard

I have used it as a glue barrier, and it works well. It does keep the glue from sticking where you don't want it. The only problem I had was removing the residue from inside corners of boxes built with open pored woods. Soft brush with lots of alcohol did the trick.
    When in doubt, ask a Creeker.

For lubrication - paste wax will probably work just as well, if not better. It's great as a glue barrier. Dryfit your project, apply Waxilit with a brush around the joints, disassemble and apply glue, and then assemble/ clamp without squeezeout worries.

The stuff is really easy to remove with mineral spirits. I think the directions said alcohol - that doesn't work very well. No problems finishing once you remove it.

John, that is the application I am considering using it for. If it doesn't dry as Bernhard stated then does the squeeze out just float on top of it?

I used it as a glue barrier and worked well. Instructions recommend methyl alcohol to remove and I couldn't find a ready source for the solvent by that name. Seems the DEET auto fuel drying agent is mostly methyl alcohol and it worked well for the task.