Thread: Apple press - finish

Apple press - finish

I just picked up an old apple (cider) press, and it needs a good cleaning. I want to finish/protect any surface that comes in contact with the cider, and I'd like thoughts/opinions.

From what I've read here, it seems like almost any finish is good once cured. So I could go with a danish oil, or a poly, or....??? any other suggestions?

Long term, I'd like to get a stainless stell insert for the tray that collects all the squeezings...but for now, I plan on just cleaning, sanding and finishing it all.
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

Although I have no experience with cider presses....Mineral oil and bee's wax or walnut oil (Mahoney's) and bee's wax would be my choice, since that's what I use on my salad bowls. Mix by volume 5:1 oil to wax.

I'd think you'd want something that is food-safe.

Mineral oil or mineral oil/beeswax is the basic version I use for cutting boards, etc. Heat min oil in a double boiler (fire prevention ) - drop in chunks/slivers of beeswax, stir as it melts. Beeswaz:Mineral Oil is 1:5 (or thereabouts - I'm never too picky). Apply while hot and wipe off after it cools, or rub in the cooled mixture - either one.
    BUT - never done an apple press, so caveat that.

You got me wondering, so I rummaged around: FWW #129 has an article) FWW comments in quotes) that also lists:
    >pure tung oil "good water risistance"
    >raw linseed oil (NOT boiled linseed oil) - good luck getting it to dry, "poor water resistance"
    >walnut oil. Supposed to be good, but I don't use it because people with allergies to nut oils might have a problem
    >shellac - "super blond from flakes is the most water resistant" . Hmmm - learned something myself. Interesting.
    >carnauba wax "harder and more water resistant than pure beeswax"
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.