Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: May need help identifying this wood

May need help identifying this wood

I have several Box Elders on my property, or at-least what I thougt was Box Elder. I cut one down yesterday; it has a pretty grain, but it is not flaming red like one expects Box Elder to be. It has an orange/yellow tint with brown/orange spalding. I know that it is some sort of Maple, just not sure now which one. Since most people expect Box Elder to be Flaming, I am going to call this one Ash-leafed Maple (Box Elder), unless someone can confirm its idenity for me.

The first picture is a blank of this tree about 13 inches wide. The second, is a roughed out bowl from this tree about 11 inch diameter.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bill, can you show a picture of the bark...it looks a lot like chineese tallow
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Looks kind of like Siberian elm to me. What do the leaves look like? If they look similar to ash, but staggered instead of straight across from each other, I'd say elm. Is the wood somewhat open grained and coarse?

Here is a roughed out Siberian elm bowl that I did. There can be a fair amount of variation in color with these. This was a crotch piece.

You can Google boxelder leaf, elm leaf, and whatever anyone else thinks it may be to see what each species leaf looks like.

Dan
    Last edited by Dan Forman; 10-11-2009 at 2:09 PM.
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Leaf and Bark

Here is a picture of the leaf and bark. I am fairly sure that it is Box Elder, just doesn't have the flame. I have heard that the flame color is caused by a decease -- maybe mine is {was} a healthy tree.

Yup, that sure looks like a boxelder leaf.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

no idea what it is but im really looking forward to this being finished, its looks totally great.

Bill,
    I turn a lot of Box Elder here, and usually you don't know whether it is Red Flame Box Elder until you fall the tree. I ran into a nice sized tree that was flamed 5-6 month ago, but none since. The leaves look like Box Elder to me, and the grain seems to follow that thought also. Yours is very nice and has a lot of character. Please show us the finished piece when completed.
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

Bill that is not Manitoba Maple AKA Box Elder.
    Acer Negundo/Box Elder has much thinner bark, and the wood is typically white, sometimes stained with red.
    I believe you have Silver Maple there, the wood and grain plus the bark does make it Silver Maple to me.
    I have some pictures here that will show the bark and wood and also the wood color in rough turned form, also one picture that shows the cut bark of a Silver Maple, HTH
    And yes the leaf looks like Box Elder.

Manitoba Maple-Box Elder bark.jpg

Acer Negundo:box elder.jpg

Manitoba Maple:Box Elder.jpg

Siver Maple bark.jpg
    Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 10-11-2009 at 5:50 PM.
    Have fun and take care

Yep leaves look identical to the box elder the neighbor took down. It had no red flame in it either.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

So maybe it's Box Elder but has never been injured or infected so there's no red.

Leo, that leaf is not from a silver maple believe me. I have 2 growing right outside the garage and the leaf looks nothing like a silver maple...Bill..

Bill yes the leaf is Acer Negundo, The question is, is that leaf from that tree ??
    Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 10-11-2009 at 10:21 PM.
    Have fun and take care

Bill find this kind of leaf, that's what belongs to the wood you're showing I do belief
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post
    Bill find this kind of leaf, that's what belongs to the wood you're showing I do belief

Leo, I have some Silver Maple Trees with the leaf you are showing. But, this tree is not one of them. I am still convinced that it is Box Elder, just has no Flame. The deeper I dig into it the more I am convinced that not all Box Elder has the Red Flame look, although all of it that I have turned before had the flame. I'll know for sure once the roughed-out bowl dries and I am able to finish it. Box Elder has a unique, {smooth, glass like} feel when finished.

The Trees I have look like the trees at this site: http://www.wildflower.org/plants/res...id_plant=ACNE2

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bulloch View Post
    Here is a picture of the leaf and bark.

The bark does indicate that it is a Box Elder (Acer negundo). The Silver Maple (Acer saccharinum) has a bark that is coarser.
    Matt

Can't change the weather so you might as well enjoy it.