Thread: Victor Bench Rabbet Plane

Victor Bench Rabbet Plane

Some questions for all the plane guys. I bought a box of planes the other day. Mostly because it had a Stanley No 2 along with a mixed bag of other planes. I probably paid too much but hey, money better spent than smokin', drinkin' and chasin'... well smokin' and drinkin' anyway.

Now for the question. I now have what looks like a Victor bench rabbet plane missing the iron, chip breaker and lever cap. If it had all of those three to start with. Does anyone have one of these? Is it worth anything? Can you tell what parts I'm missing from the photo? Think I have any shot of finding those parts anywhere out there so I can build it back up? Is the Victor even worth putting back together?

I'll also be looking for the same parts for a Stanly no 4 1/2 type 11 and a No 3 type 19 but I can probably find those looking for parts planes on ebay.

Any insight appreciated.
    Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice find.What you have there is leonard Baileys #11 "victor" combined smooth,rabbet,& filletster plane made from 1877 to 1888.John Walters book on Stanley planes lists a average value of $3000 to $6000 if complete.Pretty rare I would guess.Bad news is you are indeed missing the iron ,cap iron ,and levercap which are unique to this plane style.As well you are missing a fence that mounts on the left side of the plane and a depth guage on the right side .The book says these parts are rarely found and without them the possible value drops to $500 to 1500.I have no idea about where to get the parts you need they would be very pricey from a dealer.Find out what they look like and keep your eyes peeled at the flea market.Hope this helps.

Hi,
    Great information. I'll keep my eye out for the missing parts. I have a feeling I'll be looking for a long time. Still, it's kind of neat to have a piece that unique.

Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Just curious as to how much you paid and how was the #2?

Still think you paid too much?

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

In total I paid $150.00 for a box of stuff. That's a lot for me as I am normaly looking for yardsale planes in the $5-10 range.

I guess I didn't pay too much after all.

The box contained:
    Stanley No. 2 with a very, very, light patina of rust on the sides, good undamaged wood and a stanley sticker about 75% intact.

Stanley No 3, missing blade, chip breaker, and cap. Type 19.

Stanley No 4 1/2 type 11 with a sweetheart No. 4 blade, breaker and cap. A little more rust on the bottom than I would like.

Stanley No. 48 Pretty good shape. All parts present.

The Victor as shown above.

Stanley 9 1/2 missing parts
    Stanley 220 missing parts
    Stanley 130 broken bed
    Stanley 195 very good shape
    Craftsman's version of a 78
    Craftsman block plane
    A no name block plane
    5 wooden moulding planes 1 badly broken, 3 without blades.
    2 keen kutter axe heads
    2 Adz heads, maker unknown.

I'll sell off the adz and axe heads and anything Craftsman to recoup a little $.But I'll just spend it on a No. 4 1/2 that is in better shape.

Fred
    Last edited by Fred Childs; 10-11-2009 at 9:55 PM.

Let me be the first to tell you that you suck. Once you get the rust off of those planes, you might find that they are great users. It shouldn't be too difficult to get the right blade, chip breaker, and lever cap for the 4 1/2. If you aren't trying to keep them collectable and go for aftermarket blade and chipbreaker, all you really need is the lever cap.

It would be nice to see some pictures of that nice find!!

Blog Entries
    Stanley No. 2 with a very, very, light patina of rust on the sides, good undamaged wood and a stanley sticker about 75% intact.
    Those usually sell at or above $200.

So basically, you could come out ahead and have the box for free. Or sale the Victor and be way ahead and have the #2 and everything else for free.

Man YOU SUCK!

Enjoy that bodacious find.

Guess no one is going to have a yard sale in my back yard, gotta give up being a hermit for a day or two and get out sniffing for rust.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Pictures

David requested photos. Here they are. The lighting is not that great but I couldn't take them outside as the sun is already setting too early!
    This is the lot except I forgot to include one axe head and I mistakenly included the wrong #80 scraper. The one I have is curved by the Stanley 80 stamp.
    Attached Images Attached Images