Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glue Up Tip!

Glue Up Tip!

I have tried several diffent ways to optimize my gluing station and save money while doing so.

I invariably always forget to wash out the glue up brushes and they wind up drying and are hard as a rock. Instant garbage and I have to go get another brush. I tried keeping them in plastic bags with water or a coffee can with water, but I invariably forget to place them in the container or I knock them over and spill water all over my work area.

If you go to the paint department at your local hardware store, about the only thing you will find is a five pack of brushes selling for around $5.00
    This can get expensive over the coarse of a large project or two.

I have looked for a cheaper glue up brush and several years ago I ran across a very cost effective solution. I found acid brushes in the plumbing department. They are usually used for flux and other plumbing greases applied to pipe joints. They sell for $1.40 a five pack. All the ones I have seen have an aluminum handle and are about 4 or 5 inches in length. They work great and if you accidently forget to wash one out, you are not out as much money.

Hope this helps.

A couple days ago I found a 5 pack of glue up brushes at the borg. They sound similar to your description. They cost approx. $1.20 or so for the 5 pack. I too always forget to wash my glue brushes.

Brad - keep an eye out at local hardware stores, the borg, even the internet. Every so often you'll see a close out special for a bag of these, 20 or so, for a couple bucks. I've got quite a few and I'm surprised at how often I grab one to spread glue, to apply a bit of finish or to touch up a wall ding. Handy little suckers.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by doug faist View Post
    Brad - keep an eye out at local hardware stores, the borg, even the internet. Every so often you'll see a close out special for a bag of these, 20 or so, for a couple bucks. I've got quite a few and I'm surprised at how often I grab one to spread glue, to apply a bit of finish or to touch up a wall ding. Handy little suckers.

Doug
    You can buy a gross for $10 bucks here (+shipping and tax).

http://www.solobrushes.com/Family.as...=162&Cat1ID=11

That may just last me a while!!!!!!

P.S. That makes it 14.4 cents a brush!!!!!!
    Last edited by Brad Westcott; 10-11-2009 at 8:28 PM.

I picked up a pack of these one of the times I was there: http://grizzly.com/products/G3722

about 18 cents per brush.

and don't forget our friends at Harbor Freight. P/N 41338 36 for $3.99 plus shipping.

This is the type of stuff I buy from them...they can't screw these up.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moyer View Post
    I picked up a pack of these one of the times I was there: http://grizzly.com/products/G3722

about 18 cents per brush.
    My math says 33 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Whitesell View Post
    and don't forget our friends at Harbor Freight. P/N 41338 36 for $3.99 plus shipping.

This is the type of stuff I buy from them...they can't screw these up.
    I can hear you all the way down here on that one!!!!

I don't use brushes anymore. My daytime job finds me at a label printing operation, and I salvaged a few thousand 3"x3" 15 mil polycarbonate cut offs from the garbage. They work wonderfully at spreading an even coat of glue on board edges and they clean up easily, the glue readily flakes off when it's dry. If anyone ones to give them a try, email me and I'll send you a few.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Westcott View Post
    My math says 33 cents.

So they get $8.95 for a pack of 50. (25 3/8" brushes and 25 3/4" brushes)

$8.95 / 50 = .179 which is rounded to 18 cents.

Check with your local hardware suppler. Get a price for a box. my count was 144 and the cost was 7 something. just less then 5c each. Got 4 boxes at that time. over a year ago and still working out of the first box. They come in different sizes 1/4, 5/16 and 1/2 wide. the 5/16 and 1/2 work best.
    Happy Sawdust
    Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    So they get $8.95 for a pack of 50. (25 3/8" brushes and 25 3/4" brushes)

$8.95 / 50 = .179 which is rounded to 18 cents.
    Sorry, I was looking at the chip brush price which was $15 right next to the actual price.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Grider View Post
    I don't use brushes anymore. My daytime job finds me at a label printing operation, and I salvaged a few thousand 3"x3" 15 mil polycarbonate cut offs from the garbage. They work wonderfully at spreading an even coat of glue on board edges and they clean up easily, the glue readily flakes off when it's dry. If anyone ones to give them a try, email me and I'll send you a few.
    I use a standard roller gluer for flat edges and panels.

I use the brushes primarily for mortis and tenon work.

Thanks for the idea and the offer though.

Thanks for the tip.
    I also look out for a deal at Harbor Freight and buy a bag or two.

I picked a pack of this item with my last Lee Valley order. They seem to work well. Reusable. Still using the first one after many months.
    http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,110,42967

"Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

15. I bought a 36 pack at Harbor Freight for $2.00 last week.