Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sprayer questions / suggestions

sprayer questions / suggestions

Hi,

I think I've decided that I might need to start looking at taking the next step and getting into spraying for my finish work. I've discovered larger projects, and projects with lots of interconnecting pieces, are a real pain in the arz to finish.

I don't have an endless supply of money, and I "get" the concept of saving up and getting the better solution first rather than purchasing twice.... but, I think I would like to try something "entry level" and then go from there.

Ultimately I'd like to get a compressor that would handle the job, that way I've got a good compressor for other tasks, but now we are getting into the cost prohibitive arena.

I've been looking at a sprayer "system" that Rockler has for $122, and Harbor Freight has one for $89... the pictures on both web sites look like the exact same unit.... anyone know if they are?

Anyone here have any experience with either of these? The customer reviews from Rockler seem to be primarily positive.

The description on Rocklers site...
    "This affordable HVLP (high volume, low pressure) spray system allows you to spray lacquer, stains, water-based finishes and oil-based paints with very minimal overspray"

What about shellac and varnish???

Are there other sub $200 (would prefer to keep it sub $150) solutions out there I should consider?

Thanks guys (and gals)

edit: it looks like Earlex has a few units in my price range as well. curious on input regarding those systems as well.... thanks
    Last edited by Brad Wood; 10-13-2009 at 1:46 PM.
    fledgling weekend warrior

Brad,
    What type of finish will you be spraying, WB or solvent? If spraying WB, I would look for a gun with stainless steel fluid passages. I have the QS-600 WB from Homestead Finishing, and am very happy with it. I have sprayed very thin dyes to thick Acrylic Enamels with no problems. I bought kit #2 plus a 2.5 n/n set for thick materials. It's a little more than you want to spend, but finishing equipment isn't an area to skimp on IMO.
    http://www.homesteadfinishingproduct...spray.htm#guns
    Last edited by Rob Cunningham; 10-13-2009 at 1:01 PM. Reason: added link

The finishes I've worked on to date are shellac and oil based varnish. I have worked with dye a little bit, and that can be either water or alcohol... i've always done water because of the dry time with the alcohol.

Yeah, $400+ is definitely out of my price range

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.
    Without even looking at the 2 compressors you mentioned, I can tell you they wont work for spraying. The most important thing to look at on compressors is the Cubic Feet of air it can handle. Most sprayers use between 5 to 7 CFM at 45 lbs of pressure. You will need at minimum a 60 Gal. Compressor rated with a CFM of at least 5 to 7 CFM at 45 lbs. That should run you about $450 and will also handle most air sanders......man, you will love them. Nail and staple guns require so little CFM as not to worry.
    As for a gun, believe it or not, Harbor Freight has a gun for around $19 and works great if you keep it clean. It iusually goes on sale for around $10 every so often. This is wild, because I am generally very against HF because most of their stuff is crap.
    The next best thing cost about $200.

Also keep in mind that most compressors dont come with anything....add another $150 or more. You will need fittings, regulators/filters, a hose and also believe it or not.....wire for electric and a plug.
    Also note these compressors use 220V. In the home, just tap off the clothes dryer outlet, no big deal.
    If you can swing it, do it. You wont be sorry.
    Retired, living and cruising full-time on my boat.
    Currently on the Little Tennessee River near Knoxville

I bought the Rockler sprayer. So far I like it. I've only spayed acrylic (sw Pro-classic) but I was very pleased with it and would recommend it if you are on a budget. I painted these cabinets I built and did it pretty quickly and was pleased with it overall.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Robbie

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Bilello View Post
    Without even looking at the 2 compressors you mentioned, I can tell you they wont work for spraying. The most important thing to look at on compressors is the Cubic Feet of air it can handle. Most sprayers use between 5 to 7 CFM at 45 lbs of pressure. You will need at minimum a 60 Gal. Compressor rated with a CFM of at least 5 to 7 CFM at 45 lbs. That should run you about $450 and will also handle most air sanders......man, you will love them. Nail and staple guns require so little CFM as not to worry.
    As for a gun, believe it or not, Harbor Freight has a gun for around $19 and works great if you keep it clean. It iusually goes on sale for around $10 every so often. This is wild, because I am generally very against HF because most of their stuff is crap.
    The next best thing cost about $200.

Also keep in mind that most compressors dont come with anything....add another $150 or more. You will need fittings, regulators/filters, a hose and also believe it or not.....wire for electric and a plug.
    Also note these compressors use 220V. In the home, just tap off the clothes dryer outlet, no big deal.
    If you can swing it, do it. You wont be sorry.
    Tony, thanks for the input, but the units I noted are not compressors. They are self contained turbine based "systems". I'd love to get a big boy compressor, particularly since it has additional uses, but they are out of my range for now.... not to mention all the additional "stuff" and the electrical work I'd need done.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Hermann View Post
    I bought the Rockler sprayer. So far I like it. I've only spayed acrylic (sw Pro-classic) but I was very pleased with it and would recommend it if you are on a budget. I painted these cabinets I built and did it pretty quickly and was pleased with it overall.
    seems to be the same consensus of reviewers on the Rockler site... curious thing to me though is the visual similarity between the Rocker and HF

picture 1 is Rocker.
    picture 2 is the HF
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have seen it posted numerous places that they are identical units. I cannot say for sure myself but I suspect that is true.
    Robbie

Brad my intention is not to hijack your thread but to be clear on what I'm reading.

There have been a lot of HVLP threads lately. And a lot of the sprayers have been HF and the prices are good but the reviews are mixed. Can I use any of the sprayers with the compressor I already have?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95386

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Gerber View Post
    Brad my intention is not to hijack your thread but to be clear on what I'm reading.

There have been a lot of HVLP threads lately. And a lot of the sprayers have been HF and the prices are good but the reviews are mixed. Can I use any of the sprayers with the compressor I already have?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95386
    Hi, not a problem, it is a similar question I suppose.

I'd venture to say "no" due to the tank size, but hopefully some others will chime in and explain the why of it all.

I had a HF 43430 gun similar to this: HF HVLP GUN and I had excellent results. At the time I had a 25 gal compressor. As long as you give it a rest once in a while it worked fine. If you have many big panels forget it. Plus the compressor was an oil less and was NOISY. I even sprayed my lawn furniture with a P-C pancake compressor, but, I would spray for a while and give it a rest. Keep an eye on Craig's list. That's what I did. I found a low priced Titan HVLP 4-stage turbine system that even laid a better finish than the HF. Not long after I found a new Fuji Q4 4-stage turbine and it lays as good a finish as the Titan but with less over spray yet. So you can start out cheap and work your way up and really not loose much money.

Mike

I've sprayed alot of shellac and laquer with an inexpensive hvlp and a 10 gallon compressor, yes you do have to let it rest once in awhile on large jobs but you are only spraying at 20 to 25 lbs of pressure.

There was also a good response on the oil less compressors, yes they are very loud, I would stay away from an oil less compressor just for the noise factor, other than that they work fine.

I recently upgraded to a turbine unit and it does work well also, I think if you were going to go that route I would ck into the earlex systems for not alot more money. I have read alot of good things on these units.

13. Check on craigslist many shops are down sizing or going out. I bought a 30 gallon 5 hp 2 stage compressor and a few air tools for $175.00. The compressor is less than 2 years old.
    Mark

I have the HF HVLP unit like the Rockler. It is the same unit for less money. I have used it for precat lacquer and enamel paint. Works rather well. Need to practice., like any spray system. The HF unit comes with three needle sizes. Not sure about the Rockler unit.

I recently bought this compressor http://www.rolair.net/products/spec_...K17.html#specs from local pawn shop for $299.00. This is a great, powerful unit. Retails new from $650.00 - $800.00. The local Rolair dealer said I got a super deal. Even though it is only 1.5HP and 20 gal., it produces great CFM (close to 9 at 40 psi). Very well made professional unit. After I got this unit, I purchased the HF HVLP gun that the other poster listed. Purchased with w 20% off coupon. Very nice gun and sprays great.

I too am looking into the HVLP sprayer. I attended a seminar last weekend at a Woodcraft and they we using an Earlex that sold for 339.00 but the instructor said he had the unit that sells for 149.00. He said obviously the more expensive model does nicer work and has more flexability, but the less expensive model will fit most needs. I want to do a little research before I buy so I would be curious who has experiences with a HVLP that offer the most versatility. I am hoping to get a sprayer that can handle WB-Oil based-latex Paints-polys etc.
    any reason I can't do that with a cheaper model or do I need to spend more money for quality.
    I know the old "jack of all trades and master of none" may apply.
    we all can see what we should be, but knowing is not controlling