Thread: Mahogany Hall Table

Mahogany Hall Table

I finally completed my Hall Table. It is primarily made from Mahogany. The top and the shelf utilize a veneered panel of MDF with a mahogany frame. The veneer is curly bubinga. The accent wood is curly maple. The finish is 3 coats of wipe-on poly on top of 3 coats of clear shellac.

I downloaded a Sketchup copy of an office table from the net and modified it quite a bit for the hall table.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tipp City, Ohio

Nice table, I want to try my skills at something like that in the next couple of weeks though instead of curly bubinga I was going to use something like figured mahogany or cherry.

I have a few questions that would help out my project.

How did you make the small thin strips of wood that were the inlays?

How did you level the table top surface to flush the veneer, with the inlay and mahogany?

How did you glue the veneer to the MDF. Did you just use yellow glue and a roller and then a flat caul?

Thanks, and again nice job, that table has a ton of detail in it.

Very nice, great exicution.

Great looking table, Ralph! I like everything about it.

I've had some curly bubinga veneer in my stash for years and want to build something similar one of these days.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

Great looking table. Love the waterfall bubinga with the mahogany. How long did it take you? Really looks nice under the wall hanging.

nice table. I like the wood combinations.

joe
    Vortex! What Vortex?

Excellent result, Ralph. I love the bubinga, and, of course curly maple is a favorite of mine. Very unique design!

Excellemt build Ralph. The bubinga reaches out and grabs me.
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

9. Nicely done.

Eric
    Greensboro NC
    Woodworkers Store

Very nice combination, and great execution. Impressive.

Thanks Chris and everyone else for the nice comments.

How did you make the small thin strips of wood that were the inlays?
    They weren't inlays. They are 1/4" x 3/4" strips of maple and mahogany that were glued to the mahogany frame parts. I then planed and sanded the pieces before gluing to the veneered MDF.

How did you level the table top surface to flush the veneer, with the inlay and mahogany?
    I was very careful during the glueup. I actually glued each of the four pieces of the frame to the bubinga panel one at a time, making sure that each of the pieces was exactly the correct length. The panel and the frame pieces were glued while laying on a flat surface and clamped to the flat surface using cauls. This ensured that the surfaces were flush.

How did you glue the veneer to the MDF. Did you just use yellow glue and a roller and then a flat caul?
    I used "Better Bond" cold press veneer adhesive. It is thicker than yellow glue and will not bleed through the veneer. I did use a roller with it. I used a pair of flat cauls with lots of clamps.

Good luck with your table Chris
    Tipp City, Ohio

Another BUCKEYE masterpiece !!

Good Job !!!
    MARK

Thanks for answering my questions.

I was at my local hardwood supplier yesterday getting the maple for the legs and aprons. I predicted that they wouldn't have any curly/figured bubinga veneer and I was right... Thus I have to go with something a little more ordinary. heh

Very very nice Ralph.
    I saw it also on lumberjocks and marked it as my favorite. I built a mahogany and qs bubinga hall table recently as well. Yours is stunning.

Ryan
    Remember this when you work with wood:

"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business. "
    Michael J. Fox