Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do I get a new assmbled bandsaw home safely?

Lay it down. You might remove the table too since the trunions are the most fragile part. I transported mine in our old minivan on its backside no problem.

+1 for Wes' advice. I've moved a much bigger machine this way. Get your hands on a vehicle with a back large enough for the machine, lay down cardboard where the saw will go, and a board tilted against the entry so you don't tear it up. Tilt saw (with table and motor removed) aganst board, then heave it in (may need a friend). Use blocks of 2X4 as necessary so it stays steady. Drive home, unload is the reverse.

Pete

Be a bit careful about"tightening the heck out of the straps". You don't want to bend the column of the saw.

Back in 1964,I bought a 14" Delta bandsaw,which I still have,in North Carolina. I had to carry it back up to Va.,hundreds of miles. I just took the table off,and the stand,laying everything in the trunk of my car. Taken into pieces,the saw isn't very heavy to lift back out,if you are young.

I moved a Rikon 14" Deluxe several months ago. We removed the table and then "pivoted" the saw up into the bed of a pickup truck (transporting the saw laid flat). It was easy. 3 of us put it in the truck, but 2 of us got it out without any issues.

Why are you guys making this mole hill into a mountain? Having Woodcraft deliver it would seem to be the simplest and straight forward solution.

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

One of the reasons I bought this saw is that it's easy to move

Take the Table off-4 screws
    Take the motor off if you are so inclined-4 bolts
    Take it off the stand-4 bolts.
    If you want to lighten it further, you could take the wheels off. There's no tricky alignment issues that I know of.
    At that point, I doubt the frame would weigh 100 lbs.

To get my saw on its base, I was able to use a come-along tied to a steel beam in the basement to support the saw frame then moved the base under it. Easy-peasy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mort Stevens View Post
    Why are you guys making this mole hill into a mountain? Having Woodcraft deliver it would seem to be the simplest and straight forward solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    Why ya'll making it so hard? Rent a truck with a liftgate. Strap into truck. Drive home. I believe Penske or Budget still rent trucks with lift gates.
    I agree with either of these ideas. I understand that moving topheavy machinery may be a little intimidating if you haven't done it, but there really isn't that much to worry about if you use common sense. I have hauled anything that will go on a flatbed even if it doesn't fit (oversize) for fifteen years. I moved my 19" bandsaw 8 miles a couple weeks ago in my pickup. I set it on the bed standing up completely assembled and put 2 straps over the top and 1 over the base.

Dodge Intrepid, two helpers, twelve pack of budweiser, Delta cabinet base (28-206 style).
    1. remove saw from base. place base in trunk.
    2. all three guys sweat, huff and puff, and gently lay saw spine down on back seat. strap in with seatbelts and wifes couch cushions.
    3. drive to destination.
    4. reverse order for removal and assembly.
    5. enjoy bud, and wave goodbye to helpers who swear they will "never again'...
    Mickey

+1 for David's post.

2 things you need to move that bandsaw. A truck and a friend with a good back. A truck with a lift gate would be even better. I unloaded a Laguna LT18 by myself in 90 degree August heat. Sure could have used some help that day.

Quote Originally Posted by Mort Stevens View Post
    I asked about that right before I posted this question. It is 3 older guys that work there. Older meaning they all appear to be in their early to mid-60s. They have no company truck just their own personal trucks.

The statement was "Sure, buy me some gas and I will throw it in the back of the truck and run it over".

I then asked if he had good straps etc... Their reply: "Straps? No. Why?"

Scared me enough that I posted here and started looking for help getting it.

Joshua

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Take the Table off-4 screws
    Take the motor off if you are so inclined-4 bolts
    Take it off the stand-4 bolts.
    If you want to lighten it further, you could take the wheels off. There's no tricky alignment issues that I know of.
    At that point, I doubt the frame would weigh 100 lbs.

To get my saw on its base, I was able to use a come-along tied to a steel beam in the basement to support the saw frame then moved the base under it. Easy-peasy.
    Good to know. I think I will just do that. Just take it apart a bit and get it home.

While I would like to not scratch the paint. I love it when things look new when I start to use them. Possibly weird I know but that is me.

But WAY beyond that I just didn't want to wreck it trying to get it home. Bent/twisted/broken etc... would all pretty much ruin my week!

If there are any other suggestions please feel free to chime in. I am going to see what I can find out about bolt/nut sizes to get it taken apart a bit...

Thanks,
    Joshua

I'll just toss it my truck and you can come over and use it whenever you need to.

Dude,

I'll just toss it my truck, take it to my place and you can come over and use it whenever you need to.

See nothing to worry about, move along, nothing to see here.

8-)

I guess I'm in the this-ain't-rocket-science camp with John and David: The older guy who bought my 18" Oliver showed up with two day laborers, a rental box truck that had a ramp, and a refrigerator hand truck (the kind with a strap). I was a bit concerned since it was a heavy machine (ca. 600 lb.), but the stronger of the two movers got it onto the hand truck, strapped it securely, then the three of us humped it up the ramp into the truck. Strapped it to the truck wall and off they went. No reason you couldn't do the same with a stake-side truck and straps or rope (lift gate would be nice).

Don't drive like a teenager, of course.