Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Have ever been 100% happy with something you built

Wink Have ever been 100% happy with something you built

I have built lots of things furniture shelving decks additions reno rooms on and on but I can allways fined fault with my own work. Tell me boys (girls too just a figure of speech) will I ever find perfection Yoda. It allways seems I get rushed at some point in time and see that spot later.

Everything has a flaw, even the Hubble telescope.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Hello,
    Nope - I consider it part of the learning process.
    No one should ever be 100% satisfied w/anything they do.

Perfection is for gods, not mere mortals.

It's what drives us to excel.

W/out the challenge, what's the point?

I have the same problem - and I compound it by being compelled to point out the flaws to everyone who looks at my work! I'm sure there's a name for this syndrome somewhere.

On the other hand, after a few years go by, I can look at a piece and forget the flaws and enjoy the durability of the piece.

Nope. I'm so disgusted with the current project, I am considering giving up the hobby all together.

My next project is going to be perfect.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Flaws give a piece character and create conversation.

Thank heavens, I thought I was the only one that screwed something up on every darn thing I make. Usually they are so small that no one else knows unless I tell them. But they drive me nuts. My boy's bed turned out almost perfect, but, there is always that but.

Not yet. Next time.

In a direct answer to your question, Yes, there are a couple of pieces I have been 100% happy with. They are far from perfect, flawless, or what I want to do in the future, but I am 100% happy with them.

A perfect pencil is one that writes and erases when I move it around on a piece of paper. Doesn't matter if I chewed on the yellow paint in class.

Brian
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I've built many projects with which I was very satisfied. I'd have to say I'm 100% pleased with the results on several of them. Are they "perfect"? Nope. Am I gonna point out any imperfections I know are there? Nope. Will anyone else see the imperfections? Hmmm.....

LOML is my favorite critic. She knows I expect her to point out what she sees in any project, good and bad. There are times I've seen something so much that I don't "see" it any more. She'll run her hands over it and point out a dimple and I'll fix it.

Although several of my projects have won top honors in juried exhibitions, I can point out imperfections in each of them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

No. I doubt I ever will be, but that's ok.

I will say that my wife is 100% more satisfied now that I've learned to not point out what I think I could have done better...
    Where did I put that tape measure...

My imperfections are only that at the moment I make them. Seconds later, they are part of the design so all my work can be perfect.
    fmr

No, nothing is every 100% perfect. If I don't like the way a project is turning out I trash it (but save the wood) and start over.

no... perfectionism prevents it. But my customers are, that's all I am concerned with.