Thread: Woodsmith Picture Frame

Blog Entries

Woodsmith Picture Frame

Out of Woodsmith Vol. 31 No. 184. BE maple and walnut. BLO and shellac. The cross was added by request. Hold an 8 x 10 photo.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Yep

Very nice. I'm in the midst of doing a run of 7 picture frames. I'll post them soon.

Looks great. On my list to build.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Realy nice work! Walnut and Maple I love that combination!

Glenn, that is a great looking frame. I like the stand, and the cross.

Good job, Sam

Hey Glenn, good job. I was considering making one or two of those this winter as well. Any tips that might not be spelled out in the magazine?

Glenn, that is some beautiful work - little tedious on that cross!! Turned out great!

Like David, walnut and maple were meant to be together, and add a little figure in the maple and you have the perfect combo!

Beautiful work on the frame and stand Glenn.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moyer View Post
    Hey Glenn, good job. I was considering making one or two of those this winter as well. Any tips that might not be spelled out in the magazine?

First of all, thanks everybody. I rarely make things from plans and this sure went quick and easy as I didn't have to engage my brain very much .

Rick, Do follow the sequence of machining the outer frame pieces as the method they use gives you the most stability on your material. I built the substrate and made sure it was perfectly square (or rectangle . . . uh, you know what I mean). I then glued the maple to it and used it as a guide to some degree.

I finished the maple frame and the walnut outer frame (BLO and shellac) prior to joining the two (I did not apply finish to the surfaces that would be glued together). I finished the base, the vertical and the "keeper" separately. I screwed the vertical to the base (no glue so I can break it down to gift wrap it. That's about all the guidance I can think of that isn't covered in the mag. Have fun ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Nice work and nice combo or wood. I am expescially intriqued by the stand as I suppose I don't ge out much as I have not seen one. Maybe I have but just wasn't paying attention to what I saw.

Anyhoo... very nice results!
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler