Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: rotary axis

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by George Brown View Post
    Guy, nice design, like the slow long spirals.

Question, how did you set up the machine to cut the angles on the top and side of the head board? I assume it was on the cnc.
    George,

Thanks. The design is not mine however. It is from the customer we made the bed for. They either send us a photo, a drawing, a plan or a sample, and we make it for them.

As for the CNC work, the top can be done a few ways. This particular top was done on the band saw.

To do the top with a CNC you would have to create a model of the top, either 3D or simple curves and position the piece to be cut at an angle on your machine for 3 axis or index it to the angle on 4th axis. Then I would use a large rabbeting bit to follow the Z curve. It can be done in several passes with the curve being offset to accommodate the widest point of the design.

You could also make the 3D model and mill that portion using a ball mill. Problem with that is the machine runs too long.

It's all about cycle time and payroll!

Guy
    Thinking outside the box is one thing, being able to accomplish what you think of, is another.

Software Rhino 3.0 & 4.0, Corel 12, Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator, Parts Wizard, Visual Mill 5.0 & 6.0, Rhino CAM/Art, Claytools, Microsoft Word, Notepad.
    Access to Hardware CAMaster 510 ATC w/4th Axis 8' Lathe, Kitako 10 Spindle CNC 4th Axis Carving Machine, Polhemus FastScan and LDI Surveyor 3500 Laser Scanners, Sensable Haptics.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mathews View Post
    As for the CNC work, the top can be done a few ways.
    Thanks.

Probably easier to just do it on the band saw.

Hard to see the angle from the photo, but what if you laid it flat on the table and used a, say 120 degree v-bit. Would that work?
    George

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by George Brown View Post
    Thanks.

Probably easier to just do it on the band saw.

Hard to see the angle from the photo, but what if you laid it flat on the table and used a, say 120 degree v-bit. Would that work?

Yes if the bit were large enough to encompass the widest point. If not, you can offset multiple lines and adjust depths accordingly to get the desired end result with a V-bit. I also have some pretty large custom cove bits that will do the same thing in one or two passes.

Like I said earlier, for this one we used the band saw. It was faster and easier to have an experienced cutter make one. In a production run, I would use the CNC because the cut would be cleaner and require less finish time. Plus, I can put an entry level employee on the CNC switching parts and have the experienced cutter making something else.

It all comes back to cycle time and payroll!!!!!

Guy
    Thinking outside the box is one thing, being able to accomplish what you think of, is another.

Software Rhino 3.0 & 4.0, Corel 12, Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator, Parts Wizard, Visual Mill 5.0 & 6.0, Rhino CAM/Art, Claytools, Microsoft Word, Notepad.
    Access to Hardware CAMaster 510 ATC w/4th Axis 8' Lathe, Kitako 10 Spindle CNC 4th Axis Carving Machine, Polhemus FastScan and LDI Surveyor 3500 Laser Scanners, Sensable Haptics.

Great job Guy
    Joey Jarrard
    US Router Tools

Blog Entries
    Thanks Joey,

You should recognize the bed post. These were the ones that you have the photo of in the newsletter. They were also the main reason we got the recoil lathe from you. Remember, I quoted that job knowing that machine was coming. That job paid for the lathe man!!!!

Guy

trick or treat!!

getting a bit closer
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jim!!!!!!!!!! man o man I should have set you up with the Recoil in the first place. Great work
    Joey Jarrard
    US Router Tools

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by james mcgrew View Post
    getting a bit closer
    I'd say "You got it!" At this point it just looks like you need to go to some smaller bits and tighter stepovers.

Great job!

this was done with a 1/16th taper bn at 10%

i think the only way to get tighter is to detail the file a bit more?

jim

another 1/2 inch there

Blog Entries
    Looks good Jim.

I will say that I am a little disappointed to see a belt drive on your rotary. I guarantee that the belt is under different forces then the gantry and router carriage belts.

I was under the impression that CAMaster had taken my lead and was now installing gear drives on there new lathes.

Just remember, when the belt breaks there is nothing to stop the stock from free-spinning from the cutter until you get the machine shut down. In that time there is the possibilty of the stock being ripped from the center points and damaging machine or people.

I have had my "depends moments" with the belt drive and you will never find one on any of my 4th axis setups ever again.

You can read more about it here if you scroll down the page.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...=103562&page=2

There is not a company in the world that can convince me that the belt drive on this type of application is safe.

A gear drive like I am running on my CAMaster or a planetary setup that goes right on the stepper is the only safe way to go as far as I am concerned.

Guy
    Last edited by Guy Mathews; 11-04-2009 at 8:32 PM.

this lathe was a rollover from one of the used machines i purchased, actually i have two, and where i will end up is still yet to be seen but so far it is the path, to presume camaster had anything other than thier usual and excellent support for my efforts is mispoke

full wrap

video of full round

this is my second file

jim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QlyC9-oyA

That Looks great Jim!
    It looks like you got it to all line up. I could not tell where it started and stoped!

Nick

it will not take long to learn some really good techniques some are beggining to evolve on vectrics forum