Thread: New Incra LS Positioner - Should I Keep the Leigh D4R?

New Incra LS Positioner - Should I Keep the Leigh D4R?

So, now I've gone and purchased the Incra and haven't even gotten it completely set up and it occurs to me that I still own a D4R that's gathering dust in the shop. Unfortunately, I spent a few quality hours with the Leigh after I bought it a couple of years ago, and never again, other than toting it around the shop when it was in the way. I made a handful of shelves and boxes, but never really cared for the feel of the tool, and had no confidence when reaching for the manual that I could get what I wanted to done in just a few minutes. Too many labels and pointers and guide pins and "flip this" and "reverse that". So, instead of reaching for a tool, I reach for the manual, and that's too bad.

I'm sure this has never happened to anyone else - purchasing a tool that they turn out to not use so much - but if you could pretend it did happen to you...aside from the easy adjustability of pins on the Leigh, is there anything it can magically do that the Incra won't be able to?

Basically, it looks like the Leighs are expensive (did I pay that much for it?!) and I'm wondering if it's time I sell it off. Any really convincing reason to keep it around? It doesn't take up much space, but its sale would pay for the Incra, I think. I'm not stating that the Incra is easier to use (although it sure looks it) because I've got no time on it yet, but it looks a bit more straightforward and way more versatile. Am I missing something obvious?

I found the Incra to be quite complicated as well. If you want to do dovetails, box joints, that sort of stuff I would get the Akeda jig. It is so simple you won't believe how easy it is to use. I had the Incra, sold it. Got the Jointech, which is similar to the Incra, still have it but don't use it other than as a fence positioner.

I have the D4R and am planning on selling it. So the only jig that has been used has been the Akeda. Sell the Leigh and get the Akeda and you will be a happy man.....

I agree with roman. You sound like me - a hobbyist. So we don't use the tools all the time and we need to drag out the directions every time it's needed. I have an Incra positioner also. It gets easier the more I use it but setup can be a pain, but, like the other DT jigs, once setup it's simple after that. I just went the opposite way you did. In the near future I plan to make a bunch of DT drawers so I picked up one of the new style Omnijigs thinking it would make life simpler - we'll see.

Mike

I would be interested in what you think of the Omnijig. I have the old one, an 80 pound monster. Since I got that Akeda I don't use it much. Which one are you planning on, the 24" or the smaller unit?

I guess that there are always two ways of looking at something. I have the D4R and really like it. Yes, it is complicated but that comes with the flexibility of it. Also, the more you use it the easier it is to use. I have used it to make all types of dovetail joints and finger joints. The set up on any of the dovetail jigs takes time to get a joint just right. However, if you are making a number of drawers or boxes, it seems to work out well.

I bought the Incra LS a few years ago. There's a learning curve with it just like most things. I've done literally thousands of half-blind dovetails with it and am totally comfortable with it but it took some practice. I've used the Incra with my tablesaw for a project where I needed exact, repeatable positioning.

As to the D4R, you can do through dovetails with it easier than with the Incra. I've never tried through DTs with my Incra but there's some trimming to do after the initial cut whereas half-blind is straightforward.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

Both!

I have both. I prefer my Leigh for dovetails because I have only done through dovetails. Has also helped me trim shelves to fit in dados using their 'sliding dovetail' attachment. This would have been possible on the Incra, but it's one of those 'tool to the work' or 'work to the tool' discussions.

Incra is work to the tool.
    Leigh is tool to the work.

I like having them both.

If you cut dovetails on a say blanket or toy chest with your Incra then we need pictures. I have done box joints on a toy chest with a router table. It was hillarious. I wish I had taken pics.

Brian

Not exactly what you asked for but...

Years ago when I started the hobby I first got a Leigh D4 for dovetails without too much research. When it arrived I realized how much setup there is to it. Then without even using it I returned it and got a Woodrat. Since then I have always used Woodrat for dovetails, loose tenon joinery, and all kinds of other joinery with no problems. I especially like cutting dovetails, because once you understand the concept it is very intuitive and you don't fool with bushings, etc. Plus it is always mounted on the wall and ready to go.

When Festool Domino came out I got one, because it made the loose tenon joinery soo simple and quick, not that I did not already have the capability. I also have an incra system in the box, which I bought because of a deep discount, but have not felt the need for it yet. I may go ahead and sell it soon.

If I was to start again, I would get the Woodrat or the Router Boss (very similar to Woodrat, made in USA) no doubt because of minimal setup required for each use even months apart.
    Last edited by Frank Martin; 10-16-2009 at 4:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kincaid View Post
    ... If you cut dovetails on a say blanket or toy chest with your Incra then we need pictures. I have done box joints on a toy chest with a router table. It was hillarious. I wish I had taken pics. ...
    I haven't done a panel as wide as a blanket chest with my Incra but I have done this:

Now, I know these are on a smaller scale and hidden under kitchen cabinets but, with the repeatability of the Incra, I wouldn't hesitate to work a wider panel.
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

I'm a happy Incra LS owner. Had one for years and I love it. The repeatability is fantastic. There is a learning curve, but you'll be totally fine in the long run. Enjoy!!!
    chris

Nathan, if you ever plan to cut thru-dovetails in 3/4" solid stock, KEEP THE LEIGH!

I don't see the Incra system being substantial enough to keep from flinching at the thought of supporting 3/4" stock in any sort of rock-solid fashion. And...you must provide your own method of clamping and supporting a big board standing on its end! Leigh's solid clamping method is built-in, as are Omni-jig and Akeda!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Arnold View Post
    I haven't done a panel as wide as a blanket chest with my Incra but I have done this:

Now, I know these are on a smaller scale and hidden under kitchen cabinets but, with the repeatability of the Incra, I wouldn't hesitate to work a wider panel.
    Very nice work Bill. I am an Incra fan, no doubt. I just think muscling large material vertically is hillarious.

-Brian

Incra

I have an Incra fence on both the RT and TS. I love it. What you get with the router table fence is an outstanding highly adjustable acurate fence that can do spectacular dovetails. It really excells at half blind. It works great for small decorative boxes or drawers. But as others have pointed out you can't do large scale work like a blanket chest.

So should you sell your Leigh? That depends on how much you need the money and if you think you are going to be doing larger work at some point. My feeling is that at some point you will get an itch to do a blanket chest or some other project where the Leigh would be the ticket and you will regret your sale.

I think value for your money-- Incra. You get a router fence and can do outstanding dovetail work. There is a learning curve to the incra. Get the video and watch it a few times.

14. Leigh D4

I have watched a pro use the Incra and all he ever made was small boxes. I agree that a vertical 16x34 3./4 panel would be a challenge. Here is a toy box I made for my Grandson and it is hard country Maple. first time I ever used the Leigh and I like it.
    Harold
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Harold Shay; 10-20-2009 at 6:54 PM. Reason: add photos

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Bin View Post
    I have an Incra fence on both the RT and TS. I love it. What you get with the router table fence is an outstanding highly adjustable acurate fence that can do spectacular dovetails. It really excells at half blind. It works great for small decorative boxes or drawers. But as others have pointed out you can't do large scale work like a blanket chest. ...
    Technically, one can use the Incra router fence to do panels up to 25" wide (17" with the smaller version). The length of a panel is limited by the clearance above the router table. In my case, I should be able to cut tails on a piece as long as 70". Now, I'm not saying I'm ready to try that yet!

Looking at it another way, though, if you're doing half-blind dovetails on a chest the pins will be in the front and back so they will run flat on the table. The shorter side pieces will have to be held vertically to cut the tails. That seems to make the process more palatable!

If I decide to build a chest with through dovetails, I'll get a Leigh or PC jig.
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa