Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decent Deal?

Decent Deal?

I have been on the market for a table saw for a while. Saw this today.

http://grizzly.com/products/10-Table...t-Tilt/G1023SL

It was arguably the best deal in a 3hp cabinet saw at $1075 shipped. At $889 shipped it's a very tough deal to beat, and is a very good saw.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Blog Entries
    If I had 220V available (and hadn't just purchased a new Griz TS) I would be all over this at that price. You hear (read) all kinds of praise for this saw on SMC.
    Last edited by Jim Rimmer; 10-15-2009 at 12:41 PM. Reason: spelling

Great deal as stated on a new saw....
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

That's a decent price for a table saw if you don't mind that it lacks a riving knife. I'll bet we will see lots of these kinds of deals coming around as manufacturers have to start clearing out their splitter-style models before the riving knife deadline kicks in sometime in 2010
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

I see. Well I have been patient so far. $900 is definately the upper limit of my budget. The other one I was looking at is the G0661 that does have a riving knife. However, it is only 2HP.

If I had the money, I would take it.

Quote Originally Posted by GERALD HARGROVE View Post
    If I had the money, I would take it.
    So the riving knife is not worth the wait?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Haskett View Post
    I see. Well I have been patient so far. $900 is definately the upper limit of my budget. The other one I was looking at is the G0661 that does have a riving knife. However, it is only 2HP.
    The G1023SL will accept an aftermarket retrofitable Bolt On Ripping Knife ("B O R K") that is essentially a riving knife that travels with the path of the blade..

Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

They also have a 5HP unit at 1000.

http://grizzly.com/products/10-5-HP-...Saw/G1023SLWX3

Quote Originally Posted by scott spencer View Post
    The G1023SL will accept an aftermarket retrofitable Bolt On Ripping Knife ("B O R K") that is essentially a riving knife that travels with the path of the blade..

Are these just as effective? What do they cost?

EDIT: looks like about 125

http://shop.walnutacrewoodworking.co...=1&productId=6
    Last edited by Bob Haskett; 10-15-2009 at 1:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Haskett View Post
    Personally, unless you were planning to work thick hardwoods most of the time, I doubt the 2hp would be all that limiting. I'd much prefer a REAL riving knife (not that bolt-on contraption, sorry) that is designed for that saw from the ground up over a splitter, myself. It's safer, and will be more likely to stay on the saw because it won't need to be removed for nearly as many types of cuts as a splitter does.

The B-O-R-K is a little too ... um ... bodge ... for my tastes. A shelf bracket and some U clamps bolted onto a saw not designed for that feature isn't where I'd feel comfortable placing my trust. That's me, you may feel differently. It's entirely up to you.

There's a reason the UL is requiring true riving knives on all table saws. Anything but is a compromise and you need to be well aware of what you're losing in that compromise. If that U-bolt slips even a LITTLE bit, you could be in trouble. If you tighten the U-bolt so well it can't slip, you may affect the casting it's mounted to. No thanks. I'll take a factory-designed system built around the saw from the ground up, myself.

EDIT: Also - you're buying a new saw - I can't imagine wanting to bolt on some contraption to my new saw ... I could see it being a viable option for someone who's unable to buy new and has an existing saw they want to upgrade the safety of (though I'm still dubious of it's actual safety). You're in the market, if you want the safety one provides it just makes sense to buy a saw with one on it already.
    Last edited by Jason Beam; 10-15-2009 at 1:23 PM.
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Beam View Post
    Personally, unless you were planning to work thick hardwoods most of the time, I doubt the 2hp would be all that limiting. I'd much prefer a REAL riving knife (not that bolt-on contraption, sorry) that is designed for that saw from the ground up over a splitter, myself. It's safer, and will be more likely to stay on the saw because it won't need to be removed for nearly as many types of cuts as a splitter does.

The B-O-R-K is a little too ... um ... bodge ... for my tastes. A shelf bracket and some U clamps bolted onto a saw not designed for that feature isn't where I'd feel comfortable placing my trust. That's me, you may feel differently. It's entirely up to you.

There's a reason the UL is requiring true riving knives on all table saws. Anything but is a compromise and you need to be well aware of what you're losing in that compromise. If that U-bolt slips even a LITTLE bit, you could be in trouble. If you tighten the U-bolt so well it can't slip, you may affect the casting it's mounted to. No thanks. I'll take a factory-designed system built around the saw from the ground up, myself.

EDIT: Also - you're buying a new saw - I can't imagine wanting to bolt on some contraption to my new saw ... I could see it being a viable option for someone who's unable to buy new and has an existing saw they want to upgrade the safety of (though I'm still dubious of it's actual safety). You're in the market, if you want the safety one provides it just makes sense to buy a saw with one on it already.
    Good point. I will keep my eyes open.

To respectfully disagree:

I think the price on that 1023 is phenomenal. A riving knife is a great safety device, but is not the only one. There are wonderful aftermarket splitters and overarm guards (Excalibur / Sharkguard) that will allow you much of what a riving knife gives AND good dust collection.

That being said, if you can wait for another year, then similar deals might abound...

Even though you're dying to jump in, I'd wait. Time rewards the patient tablesaw buyer...

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Patel View Post
    To respectfully disagree:

I think the price on that 1023 is phenomenal. A riving knife is a great safety device, but is not the only one. There are wonderful aftermarket splitters and overarm guards (Excalibur / Sharkguard) that will allow you much of what a riving knife gives AND good dust collection.

That being said, if you can wait for another year, then similar deals might abound...

Even though you're dying to jump in, I'd wait. Time rewards the patient tablesaw buyer...
    I cant wait another year. Another 2-3 months maybe....