Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shop Rising Out Of Ground

Smile Shop Rising Out Of Ground

My shop is no where near complete - but it is beginning to show above ground level.

Full basement under it with clear span.

DSCN1225.jpg

DSCN1226.jpg

What are the dimensions? What are your plans? Will the whole structure be your shop?

Congrats. You must be really excited!

All of these threads of people with brand new shops make me overflow with jealousy!

Walter,

Congrats on your shop. May I ask a few questions? Was the upper part planned to be a wood shop or is it a garage? What is the floor of the upper part? How is the upper part support (do you have a picture of the inside of the basement)?

I ask because, this type of design (with lots of exposed concrete at the back of the building like yours) is the only option I have for putting a garage or shop on my property. I have two options. Backfill the concrete and have a slab on grade garage or put a floor on the upper level (garage) and have a basement.

Walter, great looking shop. The basement is great. I have the same question as Ben, will the top and bottom be your shop? The good part is it looks like you have access to the basement from the outside.

Good job, Sam

Shop info

The shop is 24 x 30.

I have not taken any pictures of the basement ---- dark down there until I get it wired. Of course flash would work.

The main level is my wood shop. The basement will house the dust collector and air compressor along with serving as a restoration shop for the first car I ever drove.

There is also an upstairs atic office that will be 30 x 11.

The support is 2x4 trusses - 16 inches tall with a live load rating of 50 lbs per sq ft. Not what you would want if you had a shop full of ol iron - but should be more than satisfactory for modern day woodworking equipment.

Walt

That is a killer idea putting that stuff in the basement. You can come up through the floor right where you need and no clutter in the shop.

Only thing that would worry me is that God might notice that the Lowe's lettering is all upside down and help you out by "righting" your building

I'm not sure what "he" would do. The lettering is only upside down on the left and back. It's right side up on the other two sides.

9. Looking forward to seeing more of this as it progresses.. You doing it yourself, or have a contractor?

Jerome, the lettering is like that so God can read it more easily.. He IS looking down from above, after all.

shop

I have a contractor doing it. I had a similiar experience to what someone else on here had - read in another post.

There is a subdivision going in across the road from my house - I ask a contractor building a spec house for a bid and he bid 53,000 for my building. I found a garage contractor who bid 20,000 less. Of course both bids were for a shell - I am going to do the electrical, insulation and interior walls and floor.

The attic trusses are due in Monday - hopefully - if mother nature cooperates - doesn't bring in a flood because some of the house wrap was printed upside down - LOL - it should be under roof - dried in by next weekend.

It has rained 3 or more days ever week since we broke ground - I probably have a couple of weeks work to get my yard leveled up again from the concrete trucks - then a couple of years for the zoysia to spread again.

I will take pictures to show progress as it goes.
    Last edited by Walter Hickman; 10-16-2009 at 9:43 PM.

Attic trusses are due in tomorrow

First the weather then delays in getting the trusses built.

Finally the trusses are to be delivered tomorrow and Friday the rain comes back in. Probably be next week before they get it under roof - I was hoping for this week - but 5 years down the road I will be enjoying my playhouse the same whether it was dried in this week or next month - so not worth getting worked up over.

I will add new pictures when the trusses are up.

Moving on up - further out of the ground that is

Got the Attic / Roof Trusses up today - hopefully if the weather cooperates all the sheeting and underlayment tomorrow.

Won't be long til it is mine all mine.....

How does anyone build a building like some of the pictures on here without disturbing a blade of grass - It will be a year before I can call my mud banks a lawn again.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Walter Hickman; 10-22-2009 at 8:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Hickman View Post
    It will be a year before I can call my mud banks a lawn again.
    That means you must have some good dirt!! It takes me about 3 years to get grass on the clay and rock we have here! Of course, I have never tried zoysia.

The shop is looking great, and that is going to be some really neat space. Are you going to be able to have water and sewer in the space?

Water and Sewer

Yes - I plan on having water and sewer - my wife wants me to put a shower in also - makes me wonder if she thinks my first project will be a bed so I can sleep there also.

10/12 roof pitch?