Thread: FINALLY! A real finish!

FINALLY! A real finish!

<satisfied sigh>

So, I've been trying, literally, for years to get a nice sprayed on finish. I've started over so many times, changed techniques/finishes and started over again so often, I figured it would never, ever happen and that I was doomed to wipe-on or brush-on.

Boy, did I surprise myself.

I have 15 Christmas boxes made up, and opened up the 18-month-old pre-cat that was in the nice Graco gun. There were beautiful green crystals all over everything in the gun. After a good 30 minutes of cleaning every pore of the gun, and then spraying 1/2 cup of lacquer thinner through it, I started playing in earnest with the knobs on the gun. Guess what?! They have a PURPOSE! Each of them does something different!

So, after getting a nice mild aerosol-ish pattern I liked, I cleaned and dried the gun one last time, filled it with a filtered well-mixed 1/2 Deft Gloss from a gallon can and 1/2 lacquer thinner. I sprayed some test pieces, slowly, with light overlap, (way more finish than I would have expected) and was stunned.

I grabbed one of the boxes and went to town. With all the spray practice I've had, it was a breeze. I layed down two coats on inside/out of each of the boxes, (with full respirator and plenty of open-air venting) and they look incredible.

So, what was it? Am I really that stupid? My guess is a number of things. One - thinning. Way thinner than I've ever tried (and way, way heavier coats than I thought). Two - Clean equipment. Never cleaner. And filtered mixture. Three - NEW finish - none of that old stuff that's been laying around. It's all going to the recycling center tomorrow. Four - correctly adjusted gun - this is the biggie. I was always hesitant to go over about 35 PSI, as this is a "HVLP" Graco gun. I ran it this time at 90 psi, cranked down a bit on the gun side with the lowest control knob to what I'd guess is 60 or 70. So my attempts before led to orangepeel, too light a finish, too much spattering, runs, sags...there was always something.

I knew that someday, all these techniques you guys teach would come together into one happy juncture, and that day has come. I'm hooked on spray finishes, and now am going to shoot a couple of coats on the car, the deck, the pool, and that deer eating my grapes.

Thanks, guys!

Nathan, I bought an Earlex some months ago, and at some point - probably spring at this late date, I hope to spend some time with it and with any luck, have a moment like yours. Your setup is probably of much higher quality than mine, but it seems they all have a "sweet spot." Here is hoping I find it quickly!! Don't know that I would have your patience!

The only (and pitiful) advice I would give is, "Don't give up until you get it right." I got frustrated and put things down each time I started with some failed technique - whenever I ran into orangepeel or sags or drips, I gave up in favor of some wipeon or brush-on or something. Had I stuck with it and refinished some of the projects that didn't turn out, this Eureka moment would have happened YEARS ago.

Good luck! Can't wait to see photos of your newly finished projects!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Conner View Post
    The only (and pitiful) advice I would give is, "Don't give up until you get it right." I got frustrated and put things down each time I started with some failed technique - whenever I ran into orangepeel or sags or drips, I gave up in favor of some wipeon or brush-on or something. Had I stuck with it and refinished some of the projects that didn't turn out, this Eureka moment would have happened YEARS ago.

Good luck! Can't wait to see photos of your newly finished projects!
    We need photos of your great finishes. Otherwise, as many here say, DIDN'T HAPPEN!