Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kerosene heat

Kerosene heat

I have an electric heater in my garage/shop that needs help heating it.I had a neighbor who heated her house with a kerosene heater and couldn't paint the walls because of the oily film that it left. I'm worried about creating finishing issues with an upcoming project.Has anyone had trouble with kerosene?

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.
    I use propane in my shop. I have a friend that has a one-man shop of 4500 sq. ft. and he has a wood heater.
    Retired, living and cruising full-time on my boat.
    Currently on the Little Tennessee River near Knoxville

I used a kerosene heater in my one car shop and had to keep the door open because of the fumes. That let all the heat out. Got rid of it and went to a 220volt electric.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

A long time ago we used to work out of a gutted trailer and ran two kerosene heaters in the winter. These things turned the white ceiling tiles yellow over time. Imagine what they will do to a finish, or your lungs for that matter. I wouldn't even consider a kerosene heater for anything. Much cleaner fuels to burn.

I have used kerosene to heat my work area in one of my buildings. It worked fine but it sure did stink. I use it when I don't have any other source of heat and need to work in that type of area but won't use it if I don't have to.
    I like electric heat if I don't have the choice of a natural gas heater. Propane puts out way too much moisture for me to use unless it is an emergency.
    David B

I tried to heat my shop one winter with a kerosene heater. After a few days, everything, and I mean everything smelled of kerosene. I can't stand the smell of kerosene to this day!

I agree with most of the post here. I heat my shop with a hanging Lennox propane furnace. Propane burns very clean and in the last couple years has become not too pricey as it has been. If your dead set on using a fuel oil of some kind to heat your shop, then I would suggest a #2 fuel oil like most on the East coast heat their homes with. Number #2 fuel oil (#2 diesel) is not taxed like Kerosene is and is much cheaper per gallon, the last time I looked Kerosene was about 75 cents a gallon more expensive than fuel oil and you will not get the BTU's out of a gallon of Kerosene that you do out of fuel oil. The only good thing about Kerosene compared to Fuel oil is it has a higher gel point than fuel oil that is why on the East coast a lot of times they mix Kerosene and #2 together for people who have tanks outside.

I had to stop using kerosene due to the fumes and resulting head aches.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I used a kerosene torpedo heater for several years before finally installing a vented natural gas heater. I never noticed any finishing problems while using it. It did put out a lot of moisture and more importantly a LOT of carbon monoxide (CO) – to the point that I had to disable my fire/CO detector before using it, it would set off the detector within seconds.
    Also keep in mind that ANY non-vented, combustion based heater consumes oxygen and creates CO.

I love my vented gas heater, I wish I had installed it years earlier.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I always had a CO detector near where I was working when I used kerosene and it never went off. I had a passive heater not a torpedo that could be the difference.
    David B

Actually, I still use two heaters in my 20x30 shop when it is really cold or just 1 when it is chilly. Have done so for years and have no problems with finish, smell, headaches, or anything else.

An externally vented combustion chamber shouldn't be a problem.

I naively used a kerosene torpedo heater for several months, though only with two roll-up doors opened a couple of feet and with a newly-installed CO detector.

There was never any indication of CO problems or kerosene odor, but MOISTURE was definitely a problem. A perfectly-tuned combustion will result in carbon dioxide and water vapor -- and how!

Quote Originally Posted by David G Baker View Post
    I always had a CO detector near where I was working when I used kerosene and it never went off. I had a passive heater not a torpedo that could be the difference.

Interesting. Mine would set the dectecter within a few seconds, Maybe there was a problem with th heater or the dectecter.
    It has never gone off with the gas heater.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I used a kerosene heater only when I was working in my 2 car garage shop without any issue. It would raise the temp about 10-15 degrees. I didn't notice any problems with finishes, but all of my projects were built and finished pretty quickly so they weren't sitting in the exhaust for more than a few days. I also had no issues with the increased humidity, but the winter air tends to be pretty dry here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    I had to stop using kerosene due to the fumes and resulting head aches.
    +1 here. I am switching to one of the electric units this year. No more kero for me. Neer experienced any finishing issues with it though.