Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conceivable TS deletion

Conceivable TS deletion

Is it feasible to believe you could eliminate a table saw in the shop by utilizing either a Festool saw & guide or Eureka Zone item? If a bandsaw was already in place, why not? Pushing those 4'x8' sheets of Nova ply thru by my self is getting old.....whoops that must be me

Yes, I believe it is possible. For myself, not so desirable. I like my TS for a variety of reasons. I also believe that if cutting panel stock is the major issue it is possible to use a variety of panel guides, either shop made or purchased, that will minimize the physical stress on the user. Further, a simple shop made guide for any circular saw and portable work table can be a serviceable and highly accurate way to break down sheet stock into more manageable pieces and save you $1000 if cost is an issue.

At work I use a 10' SCMI slider to cut sheet stock, and it does a fine job of producing accurate panels, but it doesn't make the sheets any lighter, it doesn't lift them by itself, and it doesn't make me feel any younger.

I'd hate to think I would have to do without my tablesaw for any reason. I rely on it for everything from cutting down full sheets to ripping very narrow stock. I have a good bandsaw and use it a lot but I believe I get better accuracy and smoother cuts on my tablesaw. I use a circular saw and a straightedge to cut down heavy sheets like 3/4" MDF before trying to carry them into my shop sometimes but have cut them in the shop also. The support tables around my tablesaw help with handling.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

Imagine ripping down a few hundred feet of face frames, rails and stiles, and molding with that Festool CS and rail. It has its place, a table saw it is not.
    Last edited by johnny means; 10-17-2009 at 8:46 PM. Reason: typo

I think both have their uses and place.

I use a guide and CS when I knocking down pieces for building cabinets and then finish cut them to size on the T/S.

Again.....for repetitive ripping or cuts I prefer a T/S.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 10-17-2009 at 10:39 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

If I were to get rid of my TS I'd be looking for another one, immediately.
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

Mac,

Your the only one who can answer your question. The reason I say that is because it depends on the type of work you do and how you like to work.

I don't use my table saw anymore, the only reason I haven't sold mine is that it does a great job of holding up my two router tables I have bolted to each side I have other machines that now provide the primary duties that my tablesaw used to serve and the type of projects I produce now are much different than they used to be.

Totally depends on your shop. I would give up my table saw before my bandsaw and before my metal lathe. I'm not doing cabinets unless I'm doing them for myself any more. I can do most anything I want with my bandsaw, jointer and router that I need. I have 5 lathes setup, so you know where my main thrust is though. I just used my table saw for the first time in about 2 months and it was a joy, so maybe I'll just keep it around. It makes a good workbench in the off times. Dino, take a deep breath------

Quote Originally Posted by Mac McQuinn View Post
    Is it feasible to believe you could eliminate a table saw in the shop by utilizing either a Festool saw & guide or Eureka Zone item? If a bandsaw was already in place, why not? Pushing those 4'x8' sheets of Nova ply thru by my self is getting old.....whoops that must be me
    Where are you located?

Simple answer, Yes. Better answer, figure out your needs, and if your close enough, go for demo's from both.

Why not just add a tracksaw/circ saw and straight edge to your tool arsenal. Why does it have to be either or? Unless your have no way to fit both??!! Remove your fence, Put a piece of 4X8 2" closed cell foam up on your tablesaw, lay the plywood on top, and use a tracksaw/circ saw of your choice to break it down. No need to convert the kids to Dinotology just yet (J/K Dino!). Give them/yourself options.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Although I grew up using a TS, when it came to outfitting my shop I went with a EZ guide system. I haven't felt a need for a TS and I feel much more comfortable when my kids use it than I would with the TS.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac McQuinn View Post
    This is a very timely question for me to watch. I'm going to be moving ,(read down-sizing) to a retirement park real soon and, in the process lose my 12'X20' workshop. I've been considering the elimination of my table saw since I'll be limited to a 10'X12' shed. After all the thoughts about mobile tool carts, and constant re-arranging of those, I've started investigating the EZ guide system and, for right now, can't see any reason for ot going with it.
    I'll be watching this thread with interest.
    Do like you always do,,,,,get what you always get!!

Hello,
    Is it feasible to believe you could eliminate a table saw in the shop by utilizing either a Festool saw & guide or Eureka Zone item?
    Depends.

My Festool TS 55EQ could replace my table saw for quite a few tasks.
    The trade off is setup time.

Just to see if I could - I used it to make all the cuts for my "flip top" tool stand. it was possible to cut the sides and the top pieces to the exact same dimensions,,,but,,it took more time than the TS would have.

I consider the Festool "just another tool". By that, I mean it doesn't substitute for anything - even though it could - it compliments the other saws.
    Much the same way a jig saw or a miter saw or even a non-track circular saw or a coping saw for that matter, compliments the other saws.

I am with the "It Depends" group.

How big is your shop, mine is 12x16 and I just don't see that I would have the room for one.

What type of things to you build the most, I would hate to try and make small boxes on a track system. If I was building cabinet a lot then I would thing the track system would really be the best.

I use a dado blade on the TS a lot and I just don't think that would work on a track system very well.

Space is a big thing in my shot and I use the TS with MDF on it for a work table to assemble things, you can't do that with a track system.

When I do use sheet goods I have to cut them in the garage with an All In One clamp and a CS, it works very well.

Lets see now how could I make a raised panel on a track system or cut the corners for a spline.

So I think you have to look at the whole picture and see just what you do and were you do it and then make up your mind as to what would work best for you.

Note, I have never had a track system so maybe some of the things I do on a TS could be done as easy on the track system just not sure.

About 4 years ago, I bought into the Eureka Zone System strictly as a way to handle plywood. I had been thru 3 major surgeries but didn't want to give up my wood working business. Over a period of time the EZ system took over - I sold 2 unisaws, a panelsaw, a jobsite table saw and some other equipment in the process. I now use the EZ system for all major cutting in my shop - yes, that includes ripping all parts for raised panel doors to 2 1/2" and face frames to 2".

As for speed, the EZ system is faster and requires less muscle to do the work.

One thing to keep in mind is this is not an instant change. It takes time to learn how to use the EZ system and develop a proficiency that will allow you to use it to replace your table saw.

My suggestion: Add in the EZ system and let nature take its course. At a minimum it will make your work easier and it just might eliminate the table saw in your shop.

Burt