Thread: some new tools I made

some new tools I made

Good evening Creekers. Here are two new squares made using some scraps!
    A mitre square in black walnut and curly red oak that have about 3 1/2" of blade on eather side of the stock and a try square in black chery and curly red oak that have a blade of 7 inches and a stock of five inches. the blades thikness is about 5/32 and the stocks are about 3/4" thick! I used scraps of black walnut that I sized using a dowel plate to pined them. it was a fun little project!
    Attached Images Attached Images

David, those are really nice! Either PWW or Woodworking had an article recently about making one's own squares, etc. and it looked interesting - and useful. Great job!

Please excuse the ignorant question, but I've seen squares like that before, and the shaped end is common. Is there a purpose for that, beyond decorative?

hey david i really like those, nothing like using the skills youve learnt to make something you can use.

bill

David,I appreciate the tools you are making.But I must inform you that the blade on the 90 degree square is on upside down. If you will look in the FAQ section,you can see some similar squares someone else made. The handle on the square in the FAQ section also has a decorative molding.

Thank you George, I will have to take a look... I'm sure I saw them made that way... Maybe not...

Wayne, I read some where, that it could have been for pesonalization of the tool by the cabinet makers in a big shop... The other idea was that they would scrole the end of there square with the most common of there molding so they could use the scrole patern as a template on the end grain of the molding stock, to be abble to remove the bulk of wood before switching to the apropriat hollow and round!
    I think George Wilson, could answer this better than me!

Ok, I made a mistake on the 90 degree square... the scrole patern at the tip, should go frome the outside of the blade towards the inside of the blade, leaving the top edge of the blade as long as possible!! I guess the next one will be better!
    Thank you George, I realy appreciated it!

The end looks good to me I do not think this will inhibit the use of it, for myself I use the inside edge far more than the outside, so a longer inside is all good. SO you had better send it to me and make a proper one for your self.
    Loverly pieces of wood.
    Cheers Ron.
    Last edited by Ron Petley; 10-18-2009 at 10:37 AM.

Many 18th.C. squares had that ornamentation on both the blade and the stock. The way they oriented the scrolls gave the squares the most length on the OUTSIDE of the square. I don't know why this is,as I most often use the inside of the square to check for squareness.

It isn't as decorative,but the unornamented square with plain ends is probably more practical.

One of my "to do" projects is to make a decorated square with various fraction of an inch measurements at various places on the square. For instance, the blade would be 1/4 thick, one inch wide, six inches on the long side, four inches on the inside. The thick blade would be sized with other common measurements used, thus eliminating the need for a ruler. Just a thought.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

David,

Those are great looking squares--nicely done! Did you make a jig to help with the assembly? It'd be easy enough to adjust the top of the blade if it is out of square after assembly--I just wonder how one would adjust the underside of the blade if it didn't go together dead-on square.

Nice job.

Glen

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Evans View Post
    David,

Those are great looking squares--nicely done! Did you make a jig to help with the assembly? It'd be easy enough to adjust the top of the blade if it is out of square after assembly--I just wonder how one would adjust the underside of the blade if it didn't go together dead-on square.

Nice job.

Glen
    When assembling a wooden square, all adjustments are made while the glue is still wet and things can be moved. The square is pinned after the glue has set. Once the glue dries only the outside angle can be adjusted.

Glen, Just as Jon said...
    Thank you Jon!