Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kitchen cabinets - cleats or thick back

Kitchen cabinets - cleats or thick back

I am making some kitchen cabinets (sort of a pantry off of the main kitchen) which will consist of 3 cabinets that are 42" x 20" x 15 - 3/4 ply. This is my dilemma, I was thinking using 1/2" backing. I searched on this and it has been mentioned but those were for smaller cabinets.
    Should I use 3/4 for the back or use cleats with 1/4 back to reduce overall weight?
    Price is not a factor as it would be minimal - just strength. Also the lower part of the cabinets will have coat hooks which will add to the weight they need to support.
    Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest. Mark Twain

I used 3/4" backs everywhere. They are heavy, but sturdy and I won't have to worry about where I need to put screws.

Matt,

I checked out your kitchen build for your mother.
    Nice job!
    My main concern is the total weight of the cabinet. Do you think it adds that much more weight? Did you rabbit/dado the backs or pocket screw them in?
    Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest. Mark Twain

A french cleat does make installation very easy. If you rebate the back the carcass the depth of your plywood back panel plus the thickness of your cleat the cabinet sides will sit flush with the wall and the french cleat can be hiden.

Making a french cleat is as simple as setting your table-saw to 45 degrees and ripping a scrap of plywood.

To hang, screw the other 1/2 of the cleat on the wall, and just lift the cabinet up onto it, and screw through both into a stud if you want.
    Last edited by Michael Schwartz; 10-18-2009 at 10:11 AM.

It probably adds a few pounds over a 1/2" back. My cabinets are a LOT heavier than the 1/2" particle board with 3/16" backs that Lowes sells. You only need to deal with the weight during construction and hanging.

I couldn't use french cleats because these go all the way to the ceiling. You need at least an inch or so clearance to use a french cleat.
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 10-18-2009 at 10:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg McCallister View Post
    Should I use 3/4 for the back or use cleats with 1/4 back to reduce overall weight?
    I use 1/4" for the backs on base cabinets because they are rarely ever seen and do not have the same loads as wall cabinets. For the wall cabinets i use 3/4" to keep the look and feel of the cabinets clean and strong and to prevent any racking stresses when it is hung on the wall.
    S.M.Titmas.

"...I had field experience, a vocabulary and a criminal mind, I was a danger to myself and others."

-Anthony Bourdain

Michael,
    French cleats would not work as Matt described as they will go all the way to the ceiling.

Matt,
    How did you fasten the backs as I noticed you are using prefinished ply?
    Last edited by Greg McCallister; 10-18-2009 at 10:36 AM.

Rabbets all around the back, glue, and screws.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Rabbets all around the back, glue, and screws.
    Matt, how did you cut your rabbets?

thanks
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Dado blade on the TS with a sacrificial fence.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Dado blade on the TS with a sacrificial fence.
    3/8" wide and 3/4" deep?
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Only 1/4" deep (measured from the face of the cabinet sides/top/bottom by 23/32 which is the actual thickness of the ply. Their purpose is to aid in assembly and hide any defects (chipout) at the edges of the back.

I always use 1/2 for cabinet backs, plenty strong and you can put screws anywhere which is nice if you have a narrow upper that only catches one stud. I also like how much cleaner a cabinet looks if you don't have a nailer strip on the inside.
    Tom

I assume that when you use 1/4" for the backs that you are making the cabinets with 3/4" face frames to add some rigidity to the boxes? the only time i use 1/4" backs is when the box is either a base cabinet or a faceframe. i screw on a 3/4" back for my frameless cabinets to keep them square.
    S.M.Titmas.

"...I had field experience, a vocabulary and a criminal mind, I was a danger to myself and others."

-Anthony Bourdain

I have built cabinets in a cabinet shop and have also built some of my own. We used 1/4 for the backs. Along the inside of the top of the cabinets we put a 3" stringer to put the screws through to the studs. We also put screws through the back piece on the bottom of the cabinet. Here are some crude garage cabinet examples of what I am talking about but it will give you a idea. Of course if the cabinets were nice I would countersink the screws and use button plugs. I have never heard of one falling off the wall.