Thread: Louver Jig

Louver Jig

Buddy of mine just asked me if I could make a custom louvered door (like window shutters) to replace one that got "busted" on his boat. So, any ideas where to buy or how to build a jig to route all those repeatatve slots?

Plantation shutter plans

Hey Mike, Check the New Yankee Workshp for the Plantation Shutters - Item #0602 DVD. They should have all the plans for the jigs needed to make the louvers for your door project.

hope that helps,

Troy

Blog Entries
    If the louvers don't need to be operable, Norm Abram has a jig on his website that you can build and make shutters with. I built it years ago and still have it lying around waiting for another turn to shine.
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

Thanks to both of you. Any hint as to where to find the non-operable jig on NYW site?

You can use SMC's Search function to find threads with descriptions of several different louver jigs.

The Leigh FMT has accessory guides for cutting 45 degree louver slots.

Mike,

I made a jig yrs ago for some louver doors on a home office. I used the drill press and drilled indexed holes approx 1/2" apart and about 15-20" long on a 3/4" ply panel. I then made a holder/jig to fit my router and drilled and inserted thru dowels to locate the holder. Also the holder was set at about 30 or 45 degrees, I forget which.

I used a plunge router with a 3/8" bit, cut one mortise and move to the next set of holes and cut again. It goes pretty fast after you get the hang of it.

If I don't have it stored in the barn, I'll see if I can take a pic for you.

Earl
    Furniture...the Art of a FurnitureMaker.

Here is a video of Norm and several jigs. Louver jig about half way through.

http://6.cn/watch/783327.html

Greg

Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

A Festool Domino is a great tool to make the slots with. Very fast and easy.

Greg,
    that was just what I was looking for, Thanks. How do you find videos like that?

Quote Originally Posted by mike wacker View Post
    Greg,
    that was just what I was looking for, Thanks. How do you find videos like that?
    Since retirement it appears that I have too much time on my hands.

Greg