Thread: how to clean up aluminum letters.

how to clean up aluminum letters.

I have a sign job that requires 1/4" thick aluminum letters.I needed a test sample to show the customer so I bought a bar of 6061 and cut it on my cnc router. the edge is a bit rough to leave as is. how to sand them to get the edges to look even? or use a file? use a spindle sander?
    not sure if I need to do the face I guess it depends on if it is scratched. that I can hit on a belt sander so the faces are easier.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

Different cutter? Take a micro amount off in a second pass? Seems like the fastest would be to let the machine do it while it's set up. Bead blast?

I used a onsrud o flute and I tried a cleanup pass and that did not make a difference.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

Depending on the size of the letters and the extent of the burr you might be able to clean the letters up using a vibratory tumbler and get a great finish to boot. HF sells them in two sizes, I recently bought the small one to expriment with various materials. You can polish brass and aluminum real quick and painlessly.

I used a onsrud o flute and I tried a cleanup pass and that did not make a difference.
    well today I found if the finish pass was a climb cut it is much better.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Depending on the size of the letters and the extent of the burr you might be able to clean the letters up using a vibratory tumbler and get a great finish to boot. HF sells them in two sizes, I recently bought the small one to expriment with various materials. You can polish brass and aluminum real quick and painlessly.
    I have been wanting one I thought it would flatten the backs of plane irons years ago. but it would not do anything to the edges would it? they are 6" tall letters.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

It depends on what media and grit you use. Ground walnut shells will only polish, you might have to do a little experimenting with different types of sand.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve knight View Post
    I have a sign job that requires 1/4" thick aluminum letters.I needed a test sample to show the customer so I bought a bar of 6061 and cut it on my cnc router. the edge is a bit rough to leave as is. how to sand them to get the edges to look even? or use a file? use a spindle sander?
    not sure if I need to do the face I guess it depends on if it is scratched. that I can hit on a belt sander so the faces are easier.
    How about a small angle grinder or die grinder, with a Scotch Brite fine or meduim hook and loop pad or SocAtt pad.
    Where I use to work we used them all the time to polish and sand aluminum. They come in sizes as small as 3/4", up to 4 1/2". They can get into tight corners, and take out marks without digging into the material.
    Camaster CR410 & Epilog Helix
    Prosperity, is something that business people create.......for politicians to take the credit for.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Which one Keith? http://search.harborfreight.com/cpis...bler&Submit=Go

Quote Originally Posted by Steve knight View Post
    well today I found if the finish pass was a climb cut it is much better.
    Steve,

What speed and feeds were you using? I plan on cutting our 1/8" aluminum sheets on Friday with a Onsrud SE Solid Carbide Upcut Spiral O Flute, 63-622 bit.

Have you thought about having them waterjet cut?
    Saber 408, Mutoh rockhopper, epilog 36ext, M&R and Sias screenpresss, gerber edge, gerber enVision, gerber hs15

I found how to cut them better. though waterjet would be good I may not make as much money off of it. but if I have a large job I may sub it out.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing