Thread: Question about using a Bosch Colt router

Question about using a Bosch Colt router

Hello,

I have a situation that involves the interior doors in my home. The doors are “sticking” when I try to close them, and they are sticking because the edge of the door is scraping against the “stop”, (the vertical 1 1/4 inch wide piece that the door closes against).

I don’t want to have to reposition the doors, nor the hinges, but I’m thinking that if I could round over the edge of the stop, that the door would have enough clearance to close without scraping. At this point, the stops all have sharp 90 degree edges.

So, here’s my question. I’d like to roundover the stops without taking them off. In other words, I’d like to use a router to roundover the edges while the stops are still installed. But, I know that my full size router won’t ride steady enough on the very narrow stop to do the job.

So, would a Bosch Colt router do the job? I don’t own a Bosch Colt, but I’ve always wanted one. If I got a Bosch Colt and installed a roundover bit, would the base plate of the Colt be small enough to ride on the narrow stop and do the roundover without tilting?

I’m sure that there are other ways to accomplish what I’m trying to do, but I’d prefer it if you’d confine your replies to the question about the Bosch Colt.

Thanks,
    Louis

I used a Bosch Colt briefly (trimming hardwood edge on plywood). It didn't feel as stable as I had hoped. It is definitely smaller and more maneuverable than a full-sized router, but I didn't have a strong sense of registration that I wanted.

I ended up switching to a Porter Cable 310 router that I like better. (the base is bigger, and it is not as maneuverable, and no soft start, but the squatter shape seems better for my uses)

Did your door ever swing easily, or is this from some shifting/sagging?

Matt

This is from installing new doors and painting them. But I really don't want to have to readjust or reinstall the doors or the hinges. I really think that if I could roundover the stops, it would solve the problem.
    Louis

I have several rental properties that occasionally have stickey doors. First check to see if the hinges are pulling away from the door jam; if so, there's a pretty quick fix (e-mail me). Secondly, I wrap a sanding belt (something like a 3x21 inch) around a 2x4 block that I cut to fit into the belt. I use 50 or 60 grit, and sand the edge of the door (whether it be the top or the side) where it sticks. I use it as if it were a hand plane. I follow up with a little paint touch up where I've sanded. Quick and dirty - works great. I may be wrong, but I think you'd have a pretty tough time using a router on the stop if it were still in the jam. If all you need to do is round the edges of the stop, that also can be accomplished with the sanding block.

I don't think there is adequate space to use a Bosch colt with a normal base to round over that edge. If you were to use a bosch colt with the offset base that might work. You would probably need to temporarily attach something to the door frame for the colt to ride on.

Burt

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Brandt View Post
    Hello,

I have a situation that involves the interior doors in my home. The doors are “sticking” when I try to close them, and they are sticking because the edge of the door is scraping against the “stop”, (the vertical 1 1/4 inch wide piece that the door closes against).
    Help me visualize this. The vertical piece you're talking about sits flush against the face of the door, and the door swings away from this piece, right? How does it rub? I just can't visualize where it's hanging up unless the hinges are coming loose.

Anyhow, I have the Colt, and I think it's great, but you'll have a hard time making it work for your application. I bought it because I needed something small with a fence. For that it's awesome, however I'm having a hard time imagining doing this job with that router in situ.

You MIGHT have luck with a dremel and a dremel base. Something like this:
    http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bindings...uter_Base.html

with something like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-692-6-P.../dp/B00005LEXR
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 10-20-2009 at 10:49 PM.