Thread: What the heck kind of turning tool is this?

What the heck kind of turning tool is this?

I bought this tool years ago during my previous life as a wannabe woodturner. Now, several years later, I have no idea what it is called or what it would be used for. Also, has no markings so I don't know who made it. The shaft diameter is 1/2 inch.

Any ideas? Anyone got one like it? Anyone want it?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I don't recall what it's called...

Dave,

IIRC, there was an article in the AAW's journal, American Woodturner, that discussed how to make and use the tool. If I recall correctly, you should be able to make most of the skew type cuts and be able to make coves just by holding the tool with the tip high and handle low and slowly arcing the handle into the wood. The author claimed it cut cleanly without a lot of catches -- but isn't that the claim for every new turning tool?

What the heck is it?

Dave,
    How long is the 1/2" shaft?That looks like the beginnings of a 3 sided scraper.If you want to get rid of it I would like to experiment making one of those 3 sided detail tools.I live in Mooresville,NC so let me know via PM what to do next.
    Greg

I think it's basically a round bedan. It doesn't have a corner to lead the cut so it's supposedly a lot less aggressive and catch-prone, but it's similar in use. If that doesn't work for you, it can easily be turned into a skewchigouge type tool: www2.woodcraft.com/PDF/77B87.pdf, or a three point "pyramid" tool: http://www.aroundthewoods.com/three.shtml, or a round skew.

Skewchigouge

Designed by English turner Allan Beecham. This tool will work as a skew chisel and gouge, thus the name Skewchigouge.

I'm not convinced this is a skewchigouge. Here are pictures of the Skewchigouge that I found:

http://www2.woodcraft.com/PDF/77B87.pdf

The grind on the tool I have is similiar, but a bit different. The tool I have has just a single flat grind. The skewchigouge has a curved grind on top and a distinct bevel on the bottom. The tool I have could easily become a skewchigouge, but it's not one in it's current form.

Looks like a 1/2" piece of steel sharpened at an angle. Raw material. Try it out as it is or sharpen it another way.

The thing is called WEDGE TOOL.
    It is used similar to a spindlegouge with the ground surface held horizontal.
    It's quite useful for forming concave shapes, not prone to catch and
    leaves a very smooth surface.

Horst

Used to have one at my school, it was also 1/2 and had the same exact shape. I didn't use it very much, if I made a concave shape I did but that wasn't that often. Didn't have that much experience with it but it sure was hefty.

Mystery solved - wedge tool

Horst - that's it! Here is one listed on the Woodworker Supply catalog (which is likely where I bought it years ago):

http://woodworker.com/38-wedge-tool-mssu-110-435.asp

So it is used as a negative rake round nosed scraper or as a spindle gouge with the round shank as the bevel?

Interesting that the side view skewchigouge drawing on the woodcraft site is not correct. Compare the picture of the tool with the drawing.
    Richard in Wimberley

Any ideas? Anyone got one like it? Anyone want it?

It's a tool used to make/cut coves, primarily I suppose in spindle-type work. I bought one, at a substantially-reduced price, when The Cutting Edge unfortunately went out of business here in Houston. Have used it a few times on some stoppers and birdhouses, and have liked the results. Worst case scenario, you can re-grind it and turn it into one of those round skew chisels you see people use sometimes!

Walter, so the tool is used with the ground surface facing up or down? Thanks

up!!!!!!!!

Here is an article about the tool.
    http://www.bigtreeturnings.com/artic...ionalTools.pdf
    Corel Draw 9, 12, X3 Also a CNC Router user. Web page http://www.scrollsaws.com