Thread: Oscillating Spindle Sander

Exclamation Oscillating Spindle Sander

I 'm looking into buying a oscillating spindle sander, and was wondering what your experiences have been with different brands? I would like to keep the price below $500.
    And remember, there is no more important rule than to wear these, safety glasses.

The only experience I have with them is my Jet OSS. I love it. I wish I had one sooner.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Josh, I have the Delta B.O.S.S. and have found it very useful. I don't remember what I paid for it, but I remember it being quite inexpensive. I bought it at Lowes on sale if I remember correctly. Anyway, it came with a number of different sized spindles and it does the job well. No complaints at all. Highly recommended.

I have the big Grizzly G1071 25"x25" cast iron table,
    cast iron trunnion. Very smooth and solid machine.
    Highly recommended.

Josh, I have the Ridgid bench model. It's OK, does the job, BUT, I yearn for the Grizz like Chester has. It's in the ballpark of $$ you're looking to spend (just a tad more, if I recall), but a nice unit from everyone I've heard from on it. There are guys from both, the Jet and Delta camps who like their bench units, but if your pocketbook is allowing for the $500.00 range, I'd go for the Grizz in a heartbeat!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Josh, if I can chime in one more time, I think you need to figure out how much you are going to use this machine. I enjoy mostly Shaker style furniture, so my BOSS dosen't get a lot of work out. I use it here and there and it does a fine job. But if you're planning on using it all the time because you do a lot of curves etc., only then could I begin to justify looking for a beefier machine. I just don't see this as a high use tool that demands the extra money and space if you have a small area. Just my .02. I try and keep quiet now.

I have the large Grizzly which is right at your price point. After tweeking it up, it's been flawless. Nice big table, useable dust collection, nice large spindles, fairly quiet, and smooth. The only one that would be an improvement would be a tilting spindle OSS like the Clayton - but then that wouldn't be $500

I have the Shop Fox Model W1686. It has one of the largest tables of the cabinet style sanders. Size is 27 1/2" X 27 1/2". It comes with 10 spindles ranging in size from 1/4" up to 4".

I has performed very well for me. Has a great dust collection syste. Dust collection is imperitive when using one of these sanders.

I have the small Jet and really like it
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

How about the PC-121 Oscillating Spindle Sander?

This is the handheld one. I have it inverted and mounted in a plate made by Woodpeckers (www.woodpeck.com)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Handheld OSS

Chris,

Is that table on the end of your TS? Or is that at the end of your workbench. I have seen people mount that OSS in their router table, but never at the end of a TS.

Just Curious.

On the main topic I have the large Grizzly OSS and it is a great machine. The cabinet shop down the street was throwing it out and I gave it a home. It needed a new oil gasket since it leaked oil, but a $5 part for a $500 machine seemed like a reasonable investment.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Keating

On the main topic I have the large Grizzly OSS and it is a great machine. The cabinet shop down the street was throwing it out and I gave it a home. It needed a new oil gasket since it leaked oil, but a $5 part for a $500 machine seemed like a reasonable investment.

Mike
    FOUL! FOUL! BLOW THE WHISTLE! FOUL!!! Now, THAT's a stealth gloat! Wow! What luck! I'd say you got your money's worth!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Keating
    Chris,

Is that table on the end of your TS? Or is that at the end of your workbench. I have seen people mount that OSS in their router table, but never at the end of a TS.
    Actually, it is in the middle of my workbench. The middle section of my workbench has several "blocks" that slide in and out for various activities. It would fit in my router table as well but I have had a need to put it there...yet....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Makes Sense

First off all thanks for everybodies opinions. Looking at the big picture I'm not going to buy the real expensive spindle sander. Like Jason I enjoy mostly Shaker style furnature, wouldn't use it all that much. So I will probably buy the Delta BOSS. Now I'll have more money for the WW show. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Tuinstra
    Josh, if I can chime in one more time, I think you need to figure out how much you are going to use this machine. I enjoy mostly Shaker style furniture, so my BOSS dosen't get a lot of work out. I use it here and there and it does a fine job. But if you're planning on using it all the time because you do a lot of curves etc., only then could I begin to justify looking for a beefier machine. I just don't see this as a high use tool that demands the extra money and space if you have a small area. Just my .02. I try and keep quiet now.
    And remember, there is no more important rule than to wear these, safety glasses.

I'll put in another vote for the Delta BOSS. Does everything I need it for, inexpensive, doesn't take up much room.