Thread: 3m airstream or 3m adflo clearvisor ?

3m airstream or 3m adflo clearvisor ?

I am new to turning and am trying to decide between these two respirators. Any advice would be deeply appreciated. Also, does the visor on the adflo tilt up like the airstream's ? Thanks in advance for your help.

Jim

I've had and used an Airmate 3 since 1992. 3m bought out the Airstream line from the British mfr. several years ago and has made minor mods tothe line since.

I've been pleased with the performance of my "air hat". When i finish working in the shop, there is NO dust on the lenses of my glasses! That's very important to me since I'm allergic to dust - not a real good thing for a so-called woodworker.

+1 for the Airstream. I have been using one for 20+ years. I finally had to replace the battery about 2 years ago. I pretty much use it daily. I also have Tyvek hoods for use when sanding. A lot of folks baulk at the price but I ask what is your good health worth.

Adflo tilts up - The big difference between the two is the airstream has the motor in the helment and adflo you wear on your waist. Therefore, the Adfo has a soft cloth top verse the helment which I see no need for. I have the Adflo which is also lighter due to no motor in the helment which is the reason I chose it but cost a lot more. Despite the cost, I love my ADFLO. At first I was not sure I like the unit but as I got more use to it the more I like. Wear the Adflo all the time I'm turning whether on the big lath, mini, or rose engine. I have discovered that I'm not as tired at the end of the day and the cloth helment keeps my hair clean. I just lightly blow off the unit at the end of day and at lunch plug the unit into the charger. Previously and occisionally still do wear a 3mm resp with a face shield. To me a worth while investment that I know the company will stand behind the product for years.

I'm a bit confused. The Airstream I have has a belt mounted fan/filter/battery pack with a hose that runs up to the back of the helment.

BTW, the helment and face shield just might be helpful if a blank comes off the lathe and heads in the wrong direction.

Adflo

Jim Sebring - Airsteam unit has the motor in the helmet (more weight) and the battery pack on a belt you wear. The Adflo has the motor, larger filter and motor on a belt you wear with a hose that runs up your back to the helment. The Adflo has the largest filter system size that I know of and am amaze at how fine the dust it traps even located behind your back.Working on the mini lath turning small objects the other day there was still dust in the shop that I was not aware of till I took the ADflo off at the of day. ADFLO has a full face sheild and protection on your forhead - than cloth. Unless a peice of wood bounce off the ceiling your ok. ENVIRO is a great company to do business with.

Sorry for my confusion, Bob. I have an AirMATE, not an AirSTREAM.