Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: bamboo fly rods and nets

1. Nice work. Use epoxy or recourcinol?
    got pics of the jigs and forms?
    I'd like to see the process.

I think 15 would be fine. I probably take that long with TB II.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Pritchett View Post
    Mark,

The net I have in mind is in the Woodsmith Weekend Woodworking book and is quite similar to the 4th photo in your first post. Do you think Titebond III will have at least 10 minutes open time? If so, I might be able to handle that. The form will have 12 to 14 f-style clamps. Thanks for the help. Jim Pritchett
    I realize that Mark has already answered your question about open time on TB III but... I wanted to mention that I agree it will have around 10-14 minutes of open time as I use it by the gallon. TB II will only have about 6-7 minutes on average before it starts to set. You could use TB Extend for more open time but it is not as strong as either the II or III.

Since this is a net that will be sub-merged on occasion... the open time of the III plus the water-proof resistance is your best bet IMO and what I would use. I suggest you do a glue up with some scrap to give you a real feel of just how much open time you have. And when you do the real deal... have all clamps ready to go after you do a mock glue-up to determine if you are working in the most time efficient manner you can with that given task.

Regards from down the street...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Thanks Mark & Sarge,

Your suggestions have eased my mind. I would hate for this thing to unwind like a Slinky about the time my SIL loaded it up with a 10lb bass.
    I would never hear the end of it.

I use epoxy on the rods although the NCS rod in the pics I used titebond.

As far as pics of the jigs, are you speaking of rods or nets? The rod jigs are all standard stuff except my planing form is 10' long. I can make 1 piece rods that can be 11' long. The planing form was drilled and taped 3X every 5". Man it was a bugger to do. I bind by hand using a Pfluger fly reel for tention. My forarms feel like popeye's when I'm done binding a rod. I'll see what I can do for pics of them.