Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Raw fingertips

As a bassist I appreciate my hard to acquire callouses and try not to sand them off... I find that it helps to use hand lotion when doing stuff like that, and cotton gloves, or "Liquid Gloves" available from an autoparts store. Sometimes you just have to adjust your technique.

I sand my finish with 600 grit paper (320 grit if it is real rough)and never had a problem with my fingers. If I applied that much pressure and a low enough grit to abrade my fingertips, I would have sanded through my finish. I also don't sand in between coats. I put 2-3 coats on then lightly sand and put the final coat on. If it is not smooth after that I might sand and put on another coat.

Not sure just what the problem is, but these might help.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Family/2005...ding-Pads.aspx

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

I've used masking tape in a pinch, but this gauze from Lee Valley works really well.
    http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...13&cat=1,42207

FWIW, Wes

As someone who's done a lot of sanding over the last 2 decades I know exactly what your dealing with. Matter of fact I have most of my fingers sanded down pretty well right now. Anyone who's ever sanded out a kitchens worth of cabinet doors would know too. Sanding blocks just don't cut it for certain things.
    Can't help you much with a cure though, I usually use tape and/or band-aids, especially when they start to split, (New England winters are tough on the skin).

good luck,
    JeffD

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Bischel View Post
    I've used masking tape in a pinch, but this gauze from Lee Valley works really well.
    http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...13&cat=1,42207

FWIW, Wes
    Yep that's exactly what I was doing but with masking tape. The sanding is pretty much done it's now to the 0000 steel wool.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Duncan View Post
    As someone who's done a lot of sanding over the last 2 decades I know exactly what your dealing with. Matter of fact I have most of my fingers sanded down pretty well right now. Anyone who's ever sanded out a kitchens worth of cabinet doors would know too. Sanding blocks just don't cut it for certain things.
    Can't help you much with a cure though, I usually use tape and/or band-aids, especially when they start to split, (New England winters are tough on the skin).

good luck,
    JeffD
    Thanks, finishing is the part I loathe the most!!! I have done a complete kitchen and that too was a lot of work, however I took my time with those. I'm trying to get this one done a lot faster, so my fingers are paying the price!! I guess I should have had the foresight to protect them.... Next time I will know better.

Jimmy

The Lee valley gauze has some rubbery gripping agent in it so it sticks to itself after it is wrapped on. However,it dries out over months and is useless. So,keep it in a small airtight container when not in use.

Would you believe: A piggy bank and a hammer? No? How about a Superman lunchbox?
    I drink, therefore I am.