Thread: Edgebanding

Edgebanding

Wondering pros and cons to different types of edge banding. Basically peel and stick versus glue backed iron on.

I am concerned the peel and stick will gum up my trimming knife quickly and may not adhere as well as I want.

But I am also concerned that the iron on will take longer and when I put the finish on it the any oil drips will not let the glue stick.

Advice?

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Butler View Post
    Basically peel and stick versus glue backed iron on.
    It's a shame these are the only 2 (known) options.

Isn't the problem really about spreading clamping pressure?

Wouldn't you just glue it and clamp it...if you could?
    Bowclamp "good caul"

Hey Glen,

I use the glue on type (with iron) and just recently got a small edgebander (about $350) I always use a flush trim router bit in one of my small hand held routers and it speeds things up a bit but still gets gummed up and I have to clean the bearing after a while. I have not used the peel and stick but keep thinking about it for speed reasons.

I have never had any problems with finising my edges they always turned out fine.
    Maybe do a small test with both and see what works best for you!

By the way I used to live in Colorado (Breckenridge) and we would drive to our favorite ski area Powder Mountain we sure do miss the west!!

Hope I helped a little.
    Nick

Do you finish your edging before application or after?

My plan was to wrap the edging around a sonotube and finish the whole roll prior to application. My fear is that some of the stain will drip behind the edging and between the sonotube. This may affect the glue's ability when is comes time to apply the edging to melamine.

"Peel and stick" edge banding is garbage. Sorry but someone has to say it. The iron on kind uses the same hot melt glue used in edge banding machines, just not quite as much. But if you burnish it down before the glue completely cools, it will stick "pretty good".
    David DeCristoforo

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    "Peel and stick" edge banding is garbage. Sorry but someone has to say it. The iron on kind uses the same hot melt glue used in edge banding machines, just not quite as much. But if you burnish it down before the glue completely cools, it will stick "pretty good".
    That's what I needed to hear. I know I can trust your opinion.

I use the hot melt pre-glued edgebanding on a table top edge bander. I have never tried the peel & stick. The edgebander is not great but it gets the job done better than an iron IMO. I use a Virutex end trimmer and Varikant edge trimmer to trim the veneer edgebanding. These are manual trimmers that do a fairly good job on wood veneers. The routers I have tried to trim the edgebanding do gum up quite a bit and cause a lot of tearout when the grain on the veneer switches back. If I wanted to use a power router to do this, the only thing I would consider is the Lamello Lamina.

What type of bench top edge bander do you use?

With curved cauls you can use regular old wood glue and clamp it.. and eliminate all of the problems mentioned. No gumming of the trimmer and more importantly no tear-out. It's glued...Never coming off. I even do pre-finished edge-tape this way. 4 feet, 2 clamps. Works every time.
    Bowclamp "good caul"

I use the iron on and have been very happy with it, I will second the peel and stick is junk, it will not hold.

I bought an iron on sale for $19 and it works great, use a lot of pressure with the heat and you can't get the stuff off. If you screw up a little you can heat it up and move it back to were it should be, I also roll it when it is still hot.

I use use a a chisel to trim it or if I have a lot that I have done I use one of these.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...edge%20banding

Blog Entries
    You can always glue on thin strips of wood and use a flush trim bit to cut them even with the faces. It looks better than the glue on tape. There are numerous ways to apply wood strips to the edge.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

i prefer the fastcap fastedge pvc product over melamine iron on edgebanding. it's way more durable although it's a mess when you trim the edges off because they stick to EVERYTHING including your clothes, shoes, work floor... i've never liked the hot air applied edgebanding even with a woodtek/rockler/jet/freud $300 blow dryer!
    Last edited by frank shic; 10-23-2009 at 7:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Butler View Post
    What type of bench top edge bander do you use?
    I use a Freud benchtop.

Felder was having a great sale on their edgebanders not long ago. I now hate applying edgebanding, there is a tread about it here someplace where the guys gave me a pile of good advice to try to help out. I ended up just using an iron, flush cutter and chisel. VERY slow. Next time I'm buying an actual machine. My project was a set of cabinets for my wifes sewing room.