Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oh, no, another beginner's first bowls thread!

Oh, no, another beginner's first bowls thread!

I got my Jet 1642 a few weeks back after years of being a flat worlder. Here are my first two bowls. First is a smallish mahogany one finished with Mylands friction stuff and the second is a butternut finished with block oil and bee's wax. I tried a rim there. Thisis really addictive and fun. I'm inspired by all the great work I see here on the forum!

Oh, I threw a purpleheart and sweet cherry ball in there for no particular reason. I like trying to turn spheres.

Thanks for looking. Any advice is welcome.

Excellently done 1st bowls.

Addictive? You bet it is.....that's why it's referred to as the "Vortex"!

Keep at it.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Very impressive work Sean! Great form on both bowls! Hard to believe these are your first - seriously, very nice work! Looking forward to seeing what you turn next!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Thanks, Ken and Steve. You guys are very kind.

I would like to think that working with wood and blades (planes, chisels, etc.) for many years has maybe helped me not start from absolute scratch? Anyway, I'm looking forward to bigger and better!

Those are beauties Sean. Like the others said hard to believe those are your first. Well done.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Nice work

Very well done. I really like the mahoany bowl....and the eggs look real; wish I could turn eggs to look like that.

Just in case you weren't joking, those are, of course real eggs. I pulled them out of the refrigerator as a simple way to show scale. The joke's funny - I too wish I could turn eggs like that!

Sean, let's hear it for the newbies!! Great work, and double purpose as combat helmets apparently!

I, too, am impressed. This turning thing is a whole different world from flat work. I do think the woodworking experience helps, but it is far from a free ticket. You are doing a great job. I am curious - did you use the skew to do the balls? I am having fun trying to get a grasp (pun) on the skew, but it has its way with me on occasion. It is my all too frequent date to skating parties

Very, very nice. Continuous curves with a great finish. Much better than my first ten bowls... Combined. Thanks for posting the photos and keep 'em coming

First, fiftieth, or five-hundredth..Beautiful work. I like the bowl with the rim a lot!
    Blessings, Steve

Great Bowls

Those are really great bowls. I especially like the one with the rim.

I am thinking you will be making hats in the near future.

Good luck and keep up the great work.

Dave

Yep, I used the skew for the "spheres." I took one spindle class to get my feet wet. The teacher was more of a bowl turner, and said he preferred gouges, but nevertheless was kind enough to demonstrate the skew option. I tried it, and found I liked it better - at least at this point in my vortex oddessy. I have of course expericed the "skating" you speak of, but more and more I have the sort of feel of what a rounding cut should go like - sort of like muscle memory developed to saw to a line or cut dovetails. I still get a catch sometimes, but usually it's just because I lost concentration or did something clumsy or careless. Keep on trying. One thing that may or may not be intuitive is that the handle has to be lifted through the cut - you're not just rolling the skew like you might with a gouge. No doubt more experienced types can chime in with better advice.

Thanks to everyone for the encouragment!

Both are excellent bowls. I like the rimmed one best. The foot really makes it look good.

Great work and fun foto's!

Sean, Very nice first bowl turning! It looks like you had lots of fun taking the pictures after the fact! It is always nice to see smiling faces in the forum! Thanks for sharing and keep on posting wonderful works!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown