Thread: Entertainment center finally delivered

Entertainment center finally delivered

Like all things, it look longer than expected, I made tons of mistakes, and I wish I could do it over again.

But it was my first project with large plywood bits to do the carcase, and my first project with loads of hand tool work on the top/base/face frames.

In the end, sitting in the room you don't really notice all the issues and the doors, while not square, swing nicely after some planing on the front of the new workbench I posted a while back.

The full gallery is here:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/deuce868...inment_center#

Great looking stand! Now you need to reward yourself with a nice and big flat screen to go on top!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Martin View Post
    Great looking stand! Now you need to reward yourself with a nice and big flat screen to go on top!
    I agree, Rick it's time to fill in that huge empty space on the top of the stand

Awesome job. I am sure you are the ONLY one who notices the 'mistakes' which I call character.
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

Rick, great design, balance, and beautiful contrast with the wood. You should be proud of this one. And, on the perfection thing, once I get that perfect piece built, I quit!! That will mean I have done all I can do here and time to move on to another challenge. Hope that day never comes! So, here's to making mistakes just so tomorrow I can strive for a better job on the next one!

And, it seems obvious to everyone that this piece is meant for a big ol' flatscreen and HD for those games!! Looks like you intended it that way from the dimensions.

I like the looks Rick, especially the contrast in top and carcass. I don't visibly see mistakes and I highly doubt I will be crawling over the piece with magnification tools to find them in "your" living room. And as far as the need for a larger flat screen.... you may very well be forced to get one because I think I detect one of those "burgular looking" characters in that 3rd picture on the verge of tossing the current TV under his arm and making off with it. Highly suspicious looking character indeed.

Just kiddin' of course.. nice job and enjoy regardless of style of TV. I don't have a large flat screen either but after cutting my teeth on black and white in the 50's.. everything beyond that looks like "up" to me.

Regards...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Fine job on the TV stand Rick.
    Sit back and enjoy it now...

Thanks all, it's definitely better than the fish tank stand and spray painted set of fiberboard stacked shelves that were there previously.

I definitely hope to put a nice HD set on there soon enough. When I first got the idea/materials back in Feb for this I had hoped a Christmas gift to my wife and I would be the set. Instead we've got a different gift set to come by the end of the year so the TV might have to wait until next year.

Quote Originally Posted by RickT Harding View Post
    Thanks all, it's definitely better than the fish tank stand and spray painted set of fiberboard stacked shelves that were there previously.

I definitely hope to put a nice HD set on there soon enough. When I first got the idea/materials back in Feb for this I had hoped a Christmas gift to my wife and I would be the set. Instead we've got a different gift set to come by the end of the year so the TV might have to wait until next year.
    Very nice piece! Love the contrast in it!

And I take it congratulations in soon to be in order?

Quote Originally Posted by RickT Harding View Post
    Instead we've got a different gift set to come by the end of the year ...
    Do I hear the pitter patter sound of little feet???

Yep, little feet on the way at the end of Dec. This project had to get out the door so the changing table can go on the Express Path through the garage.

Congrats on the new little one coming Rick.

I think you better start on that cradle right away too.
    Last edited by gary Zimmel; 10-24-2009 at 2:05 PM.

Nice stand! The only thing I would change is the Tv and the speakers... those are hideous .