Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hand planes collecting dust - is it just me?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Barga View Post
    My thanks to everyone for their candid and helpful replies. I was encouraged to see that many people have good results with smoothing planes, so there is something there (other than an alternative to sanding). It seems worthwhile to seek out a class or some other kind of training because just hacking away at it like I have been simply isn't going to do it. I also realized from a personal exchange that setting up (adjusting) a smoothing plane is more critical than a bench plane that I am familiar with, so I am going to 'thin the herd' a bit and go with one smoothing plane for now.

roger
    Roger,

This post had me doing some reconsidering also and the other day I took out my wooden HNT Gordon smoothing plane, fidldled with the settings and staring playing/attempting to smooth out a scrap 2x4. Well..um, at least it's a starting point for me and an incentive to learn more. I really need to go back to learning more about sharpening - which I always liked to do. There is something exciting (don't know why) about taking a plane blade or chisel from not so sharp to very sharp; I don't obsess about it, but it is nice. Nicer still to apply that blade or chisel to actaully make something. It's also quieter and in some sense a different mindset then using power tools.
    I am not going to kid myself and think about flattening table tops, cabinets, dimensioning lumber, etc., but I will be picking up and using my planes and chisels more than before. One note though regarding planing vs sanding. Using my sanders and vac, there reallly is virtually no dust to deal with and shavings to clean up.
    Anyhow, I think it's a great idea to take a class. I was at the Woodworking in America show a few weeks ago and regret not attending any of the classes - flattening wood with planes, drawmaking, etc.

Bob
    bob m

I think hand planes are an affliction. An illness that sooner or later the government must address. I am a planeaholic. It is sometimes a sad and lonely lifestyle, hours in the basement over sharping stones, forsaking health and sleep in pursuit of a perfect edge. Whenever their is a Lie-Nielsen hand tool event within 500 miles my wife hides the checkbook and credit cards and comes up with some baby shower or something we must attend. Plane mania knows no economic restraint. Sometimes late at night after all are asleep I will sneak out to shop and make shavings or fettle with a plane that was calling my name. I swear they whisper to me late at night. Such is the pathetic life of an addict. I fear there is no cure. It is too late for me. Save yourselves while there is still time!

George

Quote Originally Posted by George Beck View Post
    Sometimes...I will sneak out to shop and make shavings or fettle...
    You are not alone. I live your daily battle, Brother!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Christopher View Post
    *WoW* what a statement....I wonder if they are properly setup ? But again different strokes.

I guess it is not for everyone. But for me, the sound of a plane shaving off -just the right thickness- is awesome. to get a perfect fit on a tenon I personally think there is no better tool.

And as for the OP using the block more than any other, agreed it's probably the most used plane anywhere. So versatile and when tuned properly can make 'see thru' shavings. and in one stroke save 10 minutes of sanding.

I find most peoples frustration with planes come from:

1) not being sharp enough
    2) not being setup properly
    3) not using them correctly or for the wrong job.
    One thing to add to this is 4) Some planes just will not work no matter what is done. They will remove some wood, yes. But do so in a smooth manner, no. There is some real junk out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Barga View Post
    My thanks to everyone for their candid and helpful replies. I was encouraged to see that many people have good results with smoothing planes, so there is something there (other than an alternative to sanding). It seems worthwhile to seek out a class or some other kind of training because just hacking away at it like I have been simply isn't going to do it. I also realized from a personal exchange that setting up (adjusting) a smoothing plane is more critical than a bench plane that I am familiar with, so I am going to 'thin the herd' a bit and go with one smoothing plane for now.

roger
    Unless you need the money or space, why thin the herd?
    What if you start using the one plane and have your planing epiphany? You will be kicking yourself for having sold off some good tools. You can always sell later if the light never comes on over making shavings.

The 4.5 is a good smoother. The low angle jack would be great for a shooting plane.

Everyone has their own preferences and methods. I seldom use plywood, but when a large thin sheet is needed for a drawer bottom, there isn't much else from which to choose.

A lot of folks will not build from pine, but it is my most used wood.

Different strokes for different folks.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I just used my jack plane last night. For flattening panels after a glue up you can beat it. I don't have a drum sander. I have been thinking of buying one but when the jack works so well, I really don't think I need on. Maybe spend the $$ on more planes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    One thing to add to this is 4) Some planes just will not work no matter what is done. They will remove some wood, yes. But do so in a smooth manner, no. There is some real junk out there.
    jim
    This is also true you get what you pay for.
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson