Thread: Oneida $$$$$$ Better than Grizzly?

Oneida $$$$$$ Better than Grizzly?

Is the Oneida 3HP Super Dust Gorilla $600 better than the Grizzly G0441 3HP Cyclone?

If you don't count the HEPA filter upgrade currently being offered by Oneida, by the time you get freight, remote, and the bag gripper, it is a little over $600 more than the G0441 with a bag holder.

That would go a long way toward ducting. Is there a compelling reason to pay that much more?

Unless you want to be able to say you have an onieda cyclone it is not worth it. $600 can buy alot of ductwork if you do your homework on where to buy it. I built my own cyclone and spent a total of $1200 including my ductwork.

I'd say before you could determine which was a better buy, you'd have to try both of them under the same conditions or find an independent tester that had tested both.

Check the specs...metal gauge......type of welds.........horsepower...CFM etc......cu.ft. of the filter.......do a comparison on the numbers and decide for yourself.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I opted for a Clearvue cylcone. The cyclone is designed to dump the dust, chips and all in the garbage can and not clog the filters. The key to this is the ratio of the body diameter to the cone taper. I blew out my filters after two years (a few weeks ago) and did not get much out.

The motor is sized to the impeller, so it will run in the more optimal amp range and move enough air. I installed 6" pvc (ASTM 3034 drain pipe) and it works well. No shocks with no grounding.

I spent a lot of time on Bill Pentz' web site - there is a lot of good information there.

Either way, my experience with both the cyclone and the DC1100, there is no comparison. What ever you choose to do, you will find it a big step in the right direction.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

I am admittedly biased since I've been an Oneida customer since 2000 and have purchased two of their systems. (my shop/tool extraction requirements grew significantly in 2003) Very high quality materials and workmanship designed by folks who only do dust collection. Made in Syracuse NY. Top ratings in pretty much every review/independent test published.

That said, I've not seen the Grizzly up close and personal, so I can't say if it is the equivalent or not. I suspect it performs well and have not seen any one who owns it say not nice things about it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have the Oneida 3 HP Super Dust Gorrilla with the remote, and can say I have no regrets. It is well built, shipped with zero issues, and after the fact support the one time I used it was outstanding.

To me, it was worth the price difference.

Blog Entries
    I was after an Oneida based on all the great press they get here and in other forums. I hesitated and failed to buy before the last price jump. This led me to a Grizzly which is extremely well made and built like a truck.

Apparently there were some early Griz cyclones that had tacky welds and some other "features" that didn't measure up. These were obviously fixed (smooth continuous welds, larger impeller, etc.) as I could find nothing on my unit that looked like the weaknesses displayed in the "comparison" photos in the marketing stuff.

I assume this is Grizzly's typical response to negative press about their products. The G0513X2 bandsaw is a great example. The G0513X was a great machine but folks kept harping on the fact that they wanted cast iron trunnions; enter the G0513X2.

Since my purchase, Griz has had a price jump as well so I guess this is one of the few times I bought at the right time. Oneida makes great stuff but my Griz works beautifully. I have been running it almost daily for nearly a year and its been rock solid. Perfectly satisfied, I love the brush mechanism built into the filter cartridge. I would say you will be happy either way; pick your color ;-)
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 10-24-2009 at 9:15 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I've had the 3HP SDG for a couple of years after a lot of research. I spent the additional funds based on several factors. The Oneida DC has continuous welds vs spot welds for others. Listening to other woodworkers was also a major factor. Another consideration is that the cost of ducting will be similar regardless of how much you save on the initial price of the DC. Now that my DC system is finished, I estimate the total cost is about three times the cost of the SDG alone.

Everyone will have an opinion. Opinions are like noses - everyone has one. The only one who can make the decision for YOU is YOU.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

I have a shop full of Grizzly equipment, and have been very pleased with their quality and design. However, my cyclone is a 3 hp SDG which replaced a non-cyclone Grizzly system.

In this instance, I preferred the US Manufacture and US motor (Baldor). I have no regrets; the Oneida is a nice system.

I purchased my 2hp dg, when they were first introduced. at that time, I had Oneida design the ducting. I didn't buy it then, however, 4 years later, I called my sales rep from 2005, he pulled up my original duct design, and we are now reworking it a bit, due to changes in power tools.

I like the idea of staying with one company that has my purchase history on file. I am sure as time passes, my DC needs will change as well. Having Oneida as my source will make those changes easier.

In other words, I don't know of other companies that do both DC and ducting and that will make future changes a whole lot easier. I don't particularly like trying to figure up all the details needed with ducting, Oneida handles that part for me.

joe
    Vortex! What Vortex?

My guess is that it is better, customer support is better, but probably not $600 better. If all you could buy was a Grizzly Import, I would suspect the $600 savings would not be there. As time marches on, consumers might miss innovative, local companies like Oneida. It is often more profitable to be 2nd and fast than an innovator unfortunately.
    Bob S.
    http://www.lancasterfm104.com/history.html