Thread: Looking for singed finish examples and techniques

Looking for singed finish examples and techniques

I'm looking for examples and a how-to on making a singed finish.

I want a finish were I can feel the texture of the wood, not a smooth polished surface, so any other techniques that will do this for me I'd like to hear about.

From what I remember, you use a propane torch to lightly burn the surface of the wood, then go over it with a wire brush. The early and late wood burn at different rates making the grain look like sand dunes. How much It looks like that depends on the type of wood. There is a photo of white ash that looks fantastic in my Pocket Guide to Wood Finishes by Nigel Lofthouse.

I've read about this technique years ago, but now I cant find anything. Maybe I'm searching with the wrong key words, is it called something else?

Maybe you are looking for sandblasted wood. There was a line of outdoor furniture by Abrandt Funiture in Ft. Worth, Tx. in the seventies. It was sandblasted yellow pine with a milk wash. Neat stuff.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Thanks Phil, I hadn't thought of sand blasting. I'll look into it.

Maybe something along these lines: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=116089

HTH
    Todd