Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: correct height for bathroom counters?

correct height for bathroom counters?

I know that kitchen counters are usually 36" high, and just assumed bathrooms were the same, but I just measured the bathroom counter in my house, and it is about 32" high.

Is there a standard for bath counters? I have seen some new model homes with two counter heights in the same bath. Is there a standard for this?

Rick Potter

my bathroom counter top is almost 36".

I am pretty sure the standary bathroom cabinet is 31" high plus the couter top. If you use a laminate couter top you usually have to put a build up on top of the cabinet to compensate for the front of the couter top, so it doesn't hang down and cover 3/4" of the face frame.

Most new construction homes you will see 36" bathroom countertop heights.

32" +/- is standard for most c-tops but that is not set in stone. My current bathroom job will have 36" heights because that is what the client wants. I even did a 38" kitchen for a couple who were 6-3 and 6-4 tall. while there is some benefit to building cabinets to a pre determined set of dimensional standards there is also some benefit in being able to build custom cabinets where every aspect is custom tailored to the needs of the client. That is what separates us from the generic cabinets that the big box stores sell. c-top heights have increased over the past few years from 30" to 32" and now most bathroom c-tops are at 36".
    Last edited by sean m. titmas; 10-25-2009 at 12:48 PM.
    S.M.Titmas.

"...I had field experience, a vocabulary and a criminal mind, I was a danger to myself and others."

-Anthony Bourdain

Generally speaking Bathroom cabinetry stands 32" high. That said I'm not aware of any rule dictating this, I've built cabinets at various heights to suit clients of different dimension, build and enjoy.

CH

There is no standard , vanities have been made as low as 29" years ago , the big box store vanities are generally 32" . I've made vanities from 30" older couples remodel to match other vanities in the house to 38" younger couple bother tall 6' for the women , 6' 5" ish for the husband.

34" is today the most common in my area for custom made units.

I had 32" in my house, but felt like I had to get on my knees to use the sink (and I'm only 6'). I built a new one that's 36", and find it's just perfect.

I'd recommend stacking some boxes together or something to common heights, pretending it's a countertop, and seeing how it feels to you.

I purchased a 34" vanity years ago and finishit with 1" ply, 1/2" CBU, 1/2" tile/thinset. I like the 36" high finished counter.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

we are using an old buffet we found at a antique shop for our vanity, I just have to modify the center drawers to clear the plumbing, but I think it's at least 36" if not a bit higher. It's like almost 6 feet wide, with the doors and top drawers on both sides and 4 drawers in the middle. Way cheaper than a store bought one! It was a good find.
    Dave W. -
    Restoring an 1890 Victorian
    Cuba, NY

The "standard" vanity height is set low enough so that kids can use the sink. Adults have to stoop over to use the sink. If I'm building a vanity where it will be used only by adults -- for instance a master bath -- I build it tall enough that adults can use it without stooping. After you've used a taller vanity, you'll want to never go back to kids'-size again.

12. are ya tall or short.

Normally 32".

But if there's all adults in the house, and I can think of it, I'll ask them if they want 36"

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Is there a standard for bath counters?
    Standard height for a vanity is 30".

Hi Rick,

I just finished one of my bathroom vanity and it is 35". I don't know that there is a standard, as there is in kitchens being 36". I am happy with 35' for bathroom vanities.

Sam