Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I've got a drill decision - could use some advice

Wink I've got a drill decision - could use some advice

Hey Gang,

So, while building out my work bench I discovered that 1 of the batteries in my current drill is more than likely shot. I have the Makita 6217DWDE. It seems to have decent torque for a 12V rig - its very close in output to its bigger brother 6337DWDE. When I bought it 2.5 years ago, I figured I wasn't giving up that much oomph for the weight / cost savings (at the time the price differance was larger than it is today).

So, in pricing batteries I quickly discovered what most of you already have - for the price of 2 new batteries I can pretty much just re-purchase the exact same drill I have for 20 bucks more. But ...

Should I?

I've always liked my Makita, and w/ the NiMH batteries I don't have to stay on top of them very much (though obviously throwing them in the charger once a month for a good 12 hours was probably something I should have done in retrospect). The battery I had left in my drill most of the time never failed to run even if it sat for long periods. Once charged, it performed just fine.

Since I'm going to be building a shed next spring (among some other side projects), I started to wonder if I should jump up to the 14.4 V models. I began to see that most manufacturers are moving from 14.4 V to 18 V. It seems my 2 options for 14.4 are the bigger brother Makita or the DeWalt DCD920KX.

I know what I'm getting w/ the Makita - in fact given the rather small bump in torque between the 14.4V and 12V makita I might even just rebuy the drill I have and use one to drill and one to fasten.

I like the way the DeWalt feels and it seems like its a stronger tool from what I read in the reviews. The thing that gives me pause is the XRP batteries. If I read the user manual correctly, if I'm not using this tool every day for a living I have to plug the batteries in 1x a week and let them maintance charge for a good number of hours. Otherwise the battery performance will suffer until I recondition the batteries (which would kind of put a time dent on my projects?).

So what say you guys? Is my read on the DeWalt tool accurate or should I stay w/ the Makita line?

Mike

You like your existing drill, but don't want the expense of new batteries. Seems like an obvious choice is to rebuild your existing batteries for $40 - $50.

http://mtobattery.com/store/page2.html
    http://stores.ebay.com/Battery-Pack-Rebuilders-LLC
    http://www.primecell.com/pctools.htm

I'm very happy with the 12v Ryobi and 18v DeWalt batteries I've had rebuilt. I think the first link above is an SMC denizen, but I'll not swear to it.
    Last edited by Tom Veatch; 10-25-2009 at 3:49 PM. Reason: Added prices
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

I'm not sure what an XRP battery is, but with the description you gave, it sounds like old technology. This is the drill I intend to get.

http://www.cpomakita.com/drills/18v_...bhp454&sissr=1

According to an independant test and review, it recharges in 15 minutes, drills more 1" holes and drives more 3" screws into a 4"x4" and holds a charge while stored longer than the other 9 drill brands tested. They gave it the "best drill" award.

P.S.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Veatch View Post
    You like your existing drill, but don't want the expense of new batteries. Seems like an obvious choice is to rebuild your existing batteries for $40 - $50.
    I didn't know you could do that. Sounds like a winner to me.
    Last edited by David Freed; 10-25-2009 at 4:58 PM.

Read a lot of positive reviews on the Makita black drills, but there is $$ involved.
    BTW - I learned your lesson some years ago, so I got extra batteries when I was forced to buy new gear - same issue you are facing. One dead and gone. Others sruising fine.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Read a lot of positive reviews on the Makita black drills, but there is $$ involved.
    BTW - I learned your lesson some years ago, so I got extra batteries when I was forced to buy new gear - same issue you are facing. One dead and gone. Others sruising fine.
    This one? http://www.amazon.com/Makita-BDF452H...6506954&sr=8-4

I don't know if you are close to an HD, they currently have an in store deal, bring in your old drill and get 15% off a new coedless drill. The Makita BDF452H mentioned is a sweet drill.

Here is the Amazon link.
    http://www.amazon.com/Makita-BHP454-...6507980&sr=1-1

The 454 costs $100 more because it has 560 in/lb of torque is a hammer drill. The 452 has 450 and isn't. With Makita's reputation the 452 might be a good choice for the price, but I haven't seen any comparison tests on it.

Quote Originally Posted by David Freed View Post
    Here is the Amazon link.
    http://www.amazon.com/Makita-BHP454-...6507980&sr=1-1

The 454 costs $100 more because it has 560 in/lb of torque is a hammer drill. The 452 has 450 and isn't. With Makita's reputation the 452 might be a good choice for the price also, but I haven't seen any comparison tests on it.
    Definitely don't need a hammerdrill - but I'm wondering if these silver units have the same stoutness built into them as the teal colored ones I'm used to seeing?

Quote Originally Posted by Buck Williams View Post
    I don't know if you are close to an HD, they currently have an in store deal, bring in your old drill and get 15% off a new coedless drill. The Makita BDF452H mentioned is a sweet drill.
    Oh, I have one 5 minutes away from the house - except once you figure tax back into the equation it ends up being pretty much equal to what I can buy it for from Amazon. Plus, I can keep my current drill if I choose. I think the HD thing is a good deal if you need it *NOW*. At least for this particular drill.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Mike Rees View Post

I know what I'm getting w/ the Makita - in fact given the rather small bump in torque between the 14.4V and 12V makita I might even just rebuy the drill I have and use one to drill and one to fasten.
    If it were me, and I were happy with the drill I had, I'd probably do this, have the convenience of two drills, and spend the savings on some other marginally necessary tool instead.

Makita 18V BHP454 | $329

Amp-Hour: 3.0 / Weight: 4.9 lb. / 3-in. drywall screws: 227

What we liked ----All three testers agreed the Makita was one of the best
    ------------------power tools they’d ever used. Some talented engineers
    ------------------designed its high-torque motor and drive­train to squeeze
    ------------------every ounce of performance from the battery. It also
    ------------------exhibits excellent industrial design. For a large and heavy
    ------------------drill, it’s well-balanced and handles easily due to a nicely
    ------------------shaped handle with lots of rubber overmold.

What we didn't ---The switch to change from hammer to the drill or drive
    ------------------functions is just too hard to slide.

Bottom Line-------• • • • • BEST OVERALL

I would guess the 452 would rate pretty high also because it is the same design; just a little smaller.

You could take your drill to Home Depot and get 15% off the purchase of a new Lithium Ion drill -- that's what I did today with my 9 year old Makita that was failing me...bought a new 14.4 volt Hilti -- expensive, yes, but not all that much more than some of the other offerings and it felt great. Has plenty of torque and power to boot.

Scot

13. Milwaukee

I bought a Ridgid Drill from HD a while back. The arbor was bent, a manufacturer problem they had not yet solved, so I took it back in and the guy working there persuaded me to buy a Milwaukee M18 drill. I like it so much I bought another one off Ebay (tool only, I already had 2 batteries that last forever and charge in a jiff) so I can have dedicated drill and fastener drills on hand during a project.

I've heard good things about Makita. I work at a place, aerospace company, and they use Makita drills. My advice, whatever you do is to first go on Ebay and buy some 10% off coupons for Lowes. They work at either HD or Lowes. You can usually pick up 10 of the coupons for 10 bucks including shipping, sometimes cheaper. That means by the time you buy your drill from HD or Lowes you'll have already made your money back and then some on the coupon purchase. Then, I highly recommend the Milwaukee. I love it. But, if you prefer the Makita, well, use the 10% off coupon to purchase your Makita!!

I've had this combo for just over a year, and use it daily on the job. It's a great set to have if you ever need to install cabinets. The power and duration of the small AA batteries is pretty amazing, and outlasts the nicad 18v dewalt drill that my coworker uses. When the batteries crap out in another year or less, I will be rebuilding the pack myself to save big money over buying a new one. I used to race rc cars and have built many matched cell battery packs in my time and it's very easy to do.

I think this day is coming for many of us. What to do? For me I'll probably go with new lithium ion - I imagine they will drop in price as time goes by.