Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Well Tony and Glenn here comes Jeanne

It's here !!!

3:04 pm and the wind / rain is intensifying. I'd guess 30 mph winds plus or minus, possibly higher gusts. Power has blinked a couple times, satellite dish is out due to rain.

Lord Pleeeze, protect them power lines!
    Last edited by Tony Falotico; 09-26-2004 at 3:16 PM. Reason: refine more realistic wind speeds
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Tom LaRussa
    Where does your dad live?
    Spruce Creek in Summerfield just north of Leesville and south of Bellview/Ocala. Next to that megopolus called "The Villiages"... They've been there about 10 years now, after trying "condo life" in Bradenton and not particularly enjoying it. Single home on a corner lot is more their style since they lived "in the country" for all of my 47 years.

It's almost over .......

shortly after 9:00 pm, looks like the worst is past and it's just rain for the next few hours. Wind is still gusting but not sustained. We are definitely going to have some flooding problems in the lower parts of the county, but I should be just fine. Thank God we haven't lost power.

Ken & Glenn, what's left is coming at you, but it appears to be disintegrating fast. Hope you make out as well as we did.

Jim, let us know how the parents are as soon as you hear.

See y'all next storm !!
    Last edited by Tony Falotico; 09-26-2004 at 9:17 PM. Reason: correction
    Tony

Is there a storm??

I don't want to be cavalier or to brag too quickly ... but from the radar it appears this thing is almost half beyond us ... and I've seen more moisture in an early morning dew than I've seen with this ...

We've had a little wind but nothing much ... so thankful if this is all there is to this thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Falotico
    shortly after 9:00 pm, looks like the worst is past and it's just rain for the next few hours.
    Boy did I blow that prediction. It's almost 10:00 am Monday, rain has slacked off but the wind is still blowing. Lost power about midnight, hope it comes back soon. Lots of trees down coming to the office this am, but no major building damage that I saw.
    Tony

Man was that an uneducated thing to say ..

It was so quiet here at the time of my last post and the radar looked like it was pretty much over and a non event .... SURE ...

I've been fighting a really painful infected elbow joint for about 3 weeks ... so right after posting that dumb observation I took 3 advil ... my antibiotic and hit the bed hoping that elbow would ease off some ... I woke up at 4:30 AM with the wife telling me I had slept thru 5" rain and some heavy winds ... she didn't want to wake me up

At 6 I went out to the farm to check on the horses and was confronted with 3 big pines across the road ... limbs everywhere, etc. Power's out indefinitely because two of the trees are across the lines several hundred feet apart.

So Tony ... looks like I, not you, was the one that blew it ... thank goodness it was just trees vs. power lines for us ...

Checked on Glenn Hodges this morning ... they're fine but lotsa water and their power is out and probably will be for a while. Last time it was out for 55 hours.

Gainesville was hammered by Jeanne just three weeks after our bout with Frances. Neither power outages nor damage was as bad as with Frances. Only about 20% of the folks in Gainesville lost power this time compared to 70% three weeks ago. We lost power over night but it is back on now. That beats the heck out of the four day outage we had from Frances.

There are still a lot of trees down but not as many since most of the weak ones had already fallen. I lost six trees in the back ranging in size from 18" to 24" in diameter and about 75' tall (or long right now.) All but one were uprooted due to the soggy, saturated soil. Fortunately, none came anywhere near the house but they will need to be removed by someone with heavy equipment. Ah well, maybe I can scrounge a bowl blank or two.
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb

Our phone lines are working and so is my generator so this is why I am able to send this to you. We lost power about 3:00 last night. We had 40 to 50 mph winds, I guess. All my buildings are ok. Water is standing everywhere, they say we received about 7 inches or more, and it is running out of the trees and fields like a stream. Our yard is like a rice paddy, but this old sandy land will be fine in a few days. It looks like some of my logs waiting to be turned are floating, because they are about 6 inches off the ground and the water is touching them. We have had mild stuff compared to the Florida people, hope this electricity comes back on sooner than the last time (we were out 55 hours). No new bowls until I get power. I'm sure glad to hear everone is OK.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

Thumbs up Thank the Lord .....

and those wonderful guys at Clay Electric for restoring power at 8 pm. After they drove in all day from West Florida, they still put in some time this evening to start restoration.

My thanks to all you dedicated folks who serve the public, whether in the private sector (electric, phone), or in government employment or service.

WE SALUTE YOU AND THANK YOU !
    Tony