Thread: What comes first - edge banding or polyurethane coating?

What comes first - edge banding or polyurethane coating?

I'm building a router table from plans from Wood magazine {Sept 09, issue 192, page 56, Router table and Organizer}

I plan on using edge banding but for the self adhesive banding would I put the banding on first then the wipe on polyurethane?

Thanks,
    Phil

2. banding

I would put the banding on first if it is wood. If you are using tee lock rubber I would put that on last.
    Harold

Harold,

It's the iron on type. Makes sense unless you tape up the edges first.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Florio View Post
    Harold,

It's the iron on type. Makes sense unless you tape up the edges first.

Phil
    FWIW, iron on is not very good. Why not rip some 1/4" hardwood and glue it on. You will be much better off in the long run. MHO.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

However you do it (iron on or glue on hardwood) the glue will require unsealed wood on the edge to bond properly.

Further, finishing AFTER the banding will allow the finish to level the seam on the band, giving a smoother, flowing surface.

So, I go for AFTER. The only time I'd consider prefinishing is in box assemblies where it's hard to get into corners, or where you have transitions in color.