Thread: Wood ID help?

Wood ID help?

This will be my work bench at some point in time. Got the wood from a friend of mine which we thought was all Doug Fir. Looks like there is some of it that isn't. Because I'm in Oregon I'm thinking the stuff thats not DF is probably Alder. I haven't seen alder before other than for fire wood so not sure what I'm looking at. A couple of Pix here to help out with the ID. If it is not alder any clue to what it is? Planing this unknown wood type is ridiculously difficult!

My friend buy's very large bundles of wood to burn for his green houses from a beam manufacturer for really cheap prices. Included in this many times are 8+/4 cutoffs that can be up to 16 ft long and 24" or more wide. We had to cut this to 10 ft lengths so I could haul it home. Milling this in my shop is a whole other story. I can't knock the price though... free.

One pic shows the ends. This unknown wood is on top another pic shows the color after I put a little Denatured Alcohol on it and the boards standing up are two fir before and after planing and the unknown wood type next to that. The big pile will be my workbench someday. I'm feeling the pain of not having one to build the bench in the first place.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Randy...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bump... anyone have any ideas?

Looks like the Alder that I brought back from Oregon 15 years or so ago.