Thread: Missing Carbide Tooth on Blade

Missing Carbide Tooth on Blade

I needed to cut some 3/8" BB ply today, so I moved my Freud 80 tooth ultimate cutoff blade from the miter saw to the table saw. When I took it back off I noticed that a carbide tooth is completly missing. This blade has never been dropped or hit any metal. It's about 3 years old and while it has never been sharpened, it still cuts very smoothly (no chipout on the BB ply).

Can a carbide tooth be replaced and at what cost? And to that I assume I can also add the price of resharpening while they are at it. Is it economical to fix/sharpen it? I can buy a new blade for about $70.

And while I'm asking...a lot has been said about the Forrest Chopmaster - is it really worth $125, almost twice the Freud?

I also own the Freud 50 tooth combo and 24 tooth rip blade and have had nothing but excellent results from them. I did check them today and all their teeth are still there.

Thanks for your assistance.

Be well,

Doc

Your local sharpener should be able to deal w/ the missing tooth. Not sure of the price though, I've never had a tooth replaced. I only know it can easily be done by a reputable shop.

Good Luck

Joe in Tampa

Missing Carbide Tooth on Blade

Don,

I seem to remember that my "professional" blade guys charged me $2.50 some years ago but could be wrong. I have a feeling that your typical "retiree" that sharpen blades on the side probably can't do it.

I checked the Forrest web site and their prices are 1 = $7, 2 = $5 ea, 3 = $3.75 ea and 4 & up= $3 ea.

As far as the Forrest being worth the price, I have one but don't find it any better that the 2 different Freuds blades I have. A couple of months ago, I bought a 7-1/2" and 10" Razor blades from Porter Cable and am quite impressed with them. They have variable spaced teeth (i.e., 6 at 1/2" followed by 5 at 3/4", etc) and I guess the closer spaced one cut smooth, the not so close one cut faster and remove the saw dust.

Regards, Joe
    Two weeks, your project will be done in two weeks!!! (From the Money Pit)

I sent a blade in last year to be sharpened and they had to replace two teeth it wasn't much more---maybe $10.00. Well worth it considering to cost of a new balde. You could of hit something so small that you never saw it.
    ---I may be broke---but we have plenty of wood---

If you don't know how the tooth came off you also don't know if another one will.

If it was me, i'd trash the blade or send back to Freud.

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Don, I just "replaced" a Freud 80t 12" blade on my CMS with the ChopMaster. The difference is remarkable. The blade body is also considerably "heavier" and the ATB grind really slices fibers cleanly. I ordered it from 3D sales a couple weeks ago and had it in-hand in like one day. Good price, too. I can only imagine what Forrest's new MiterMaster cuts like for a buck eighty!!! (But I ain't buying one to find out...)

Don

My saw doctor routinely replaces missing or chipped teeth on my freud blades. Cost is small - $5 - $10. Any professional sharpening service should do it.

I wouldn't get bent outta shape about the tooth coming off. It happens and is certainly not necessarily a sign of a defect in a three year old blade.

Don,

I just had a blade sharpend. I was charged .30 a tooth for the sharpening and $2.50 to replace a missing tooth.

Mark

Thank you to everyone. I contacted a local company that does sharpening. The prices seem resonable: 80T = $20, 50T = $16, 24T = $11 (interesting that as the number of teeth goes down, the price per tooth goes up). Tooth replacement is $1.75 each. Turn-around time is 7-10 days. And the place is only 10 minutes away from my house.

Jim, I'll keep the Chopmaster in mind. My mitersaw is an off-brand (Excel) I've had for over 10 years. It's dead on accurate but I know it's going to "go" soon. I plan on replacing it with a 12" model (probably DeWalt) - so don't want to invest that kind of money on a 10" blade only to have to buy a 12" one when I replace the mitersaw. BTW, the Freud 80T is also an ATB grind.

Again, thanks for your input.

Be well,

Doc