Thread: Saw vises

Saw vises

My old disston 3d vise I bought this spring for $15 developed a crack and broke last weekend. I saw this one on ebay and thought - hey, just like mine, but also has the file guide on it! I might just bid on it if it stays reasonable. With an hour left, it was over $40, so I thought - no, too rich for my blood:

Snipers at the end - it went for $252.49.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

I gotta find someone who can weld cast...

I bought this one for $10 to tide me over until I do:

Leif

Cast iron is better brazed than welded, although you can call around to local weldors to see who can do cast iron welding and bronze brazing.

The issue is that cast iron comes in several flavors, all of which behave a bit differently in welding....difficult to keep from warping.

Brazing at 1100 degrees or so is the easier solution....and you can even do it yourself using silver braze ground in flux and MAPP gas. 40k psi, so it's as strong as most welds. If you want to go that route...I can coach.
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff