Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Electrical Question - Service to Garage

Roger...OT about your sig line.

I understand its intention but technically, if you are scared half to death and are scared half to death again...assuming you were already scared half to death, then you are only 1/4 dead...then 1/8...then 1/16.... haha sorry
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post

I understand its intention but technically, if you are scared half to death and are scared half to death again...assuming you were already scared half to death, then you are only 1/4 dead...then 1/8...then 1/16.... haha sorry
    You are certainly right..... I'll let the author of the qoute 'the cable guy' know that he is not technically correct....LMAO
    Ever wonder what happens if you get scared 1/2 to death twice ?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post

Actually, Chris, you're going the wrong way. After the second time, you'd only be 1/4 alive.

Thanks, Roger!
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    Actually, Chris, you're going the wrong way. After the second time, you'd only be 1/4 alive.

Thanks, Roger!
    Doh! Good catch, Jason!! Goshdarnitalltoheck!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I was really busy tonight but had time to squeeze some thought in after my nap. I realize we are off subject ( I didn't start this ..) but looking at it in terms of a linear graph ... the cable guy may actually be correct. If fully alive is our maximum parameter then 1/2 scared to death is a magnitude of 1/2 of a fully alive life. If I get a scare again that is equal to 1/2 scared to death of fully alive....then I'm fully scared to death. Seems simple to me...... It's all in the details..... 1/2 scared to death + 1/2 scared to death = 1 Scared to Death

The issue is what qualifies for fully alive. Some of us would probably not need a 1/2 scared to death ......twice.... to expire.

Last edited by Roger Frazee; 11-05-2009 at 10:17 PM.

See, I disagree, Roger. Consider that if one has 100 life units and is half scared to death. This leaves the unfortunate fraidy cat with but 50 life units. Since there is no indication that one can recover life units, this is now the sum total of what separates him from death. Along comes the second episode of being half scared to death, which now removes not 50 life units, resulting in death, but a mere 25 life units, half of the 50 life units said fraidy cat previously enjoyed, and leaving him with the meager total of 25 life units, 1/4 of his original supply.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

You know I think the problem is we are 'considering this'......

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Carl View Post
    Roger,

This is what I was looking for, thank you very much. My father in law is a union electrian but does mostly commercial work. He and another union electrician tell me I don't need a service disconnect but based on article 225 of the code I believe I do. My father in law has advised me correctly on all your other points, but I must say your picture was really easy to understand. I believe many people can benefit from this.

I have already dug the trench (22 '' deep) and laid conduit and my pipe enters the garage on the first floor and the feed will be run to the second floor to a sub panel. Because of this and the fact that the second floor will be behind a locked door I'm sure the inspector will require a disconnect where the service enters the building. I'll plan for this.

Thanks,

Adam
    Adam

I just wanted to say that Rollie is correct you can use a main breaker panel to satisfy the building disconnect even though you will have redundant breakers of equal rating...one at the house panel and one in the detached buildings panel..... but it will have to be located pretty close to the feeder entrance to the building.

But also understand that we are talking about a disconnect that will open the two ungrounded conductors so it does not have to provide over current protection. The breaker in the house panel protects the feeder...it can simply be a manual disconnect (100 amp disconnect) at the detached building inside or out located very close to where the feeder enters...then continue the feeder on to an mlo panel. This is my preference a bit more money but awfully convenient and gives you more options as to where you want to locate the mlo sub-panel.
    Last edited by Roger Frazee; 11-06-2009 at 1:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Carl View Post
    Roger,

This is what I was looking for, thank you very much. My father in law is a union electrian but does mostly commercial work. He and another union electrian tell me I don't need a service disconnect but based on article 225 of the code I believe I do. My father in law has adviced me correctly on all your other points, but I must say your picture was really easy to understand. I believe many people can benefit from this.

I have already dug the trench (22 '' deep) and laid conduit and my pipe enters the garage on the first floor and the feed will be run to the second floor to a sub panel. Because of this and the fact that the second floor will be behind a locked door I'm sure the inspector will require a disconnect where the service enters the building. I'll plan for this.

Thanks,

Adam
    Sorry I didn't acknowledge your reply...sometimes I get distracted....

I was glad to help and hope your project goes well. I too was union (Ford skilled trades) for many years.