Thread: Cherry ply wrapped with Alder

Cherry ply wrapped with Alder

I am building a desk(top) built from Cherry Plywood wrapped with 3" Alder. What is the best way to finish this if I want the Alder wrap a different shade of dye than the Cherry Ply? Before or after assembly? I have a HVLP set-up to apply the dye and final Poly.

All suggestions are appreciated!!

Either dye them before you put it together or tape it off to dye them differnet colors. Get some quality "razors edge" or frog tape from a paint store. Don't use masking tape or blue tape.

Polyurethane varnish is tough, poly is not hard... Desks are better off with a hard varnish finish. Behlen's Rock Hard Table Top varnish would be a much better choice.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Thanks!

Thanks Scott! That's just what I was thinking, just wanted to see if there were any other suggestions to experiment with. Also, I will go ahead and purchase the varnish you suggested and see how it performs.

The manufacturers package it a bit thick for VOC reasons. Make sure you thin it about 10% with their thinner, which works better than using mineral spirits to thin it.
    Last edited by Scott Holmes; 10-31-2009 at 1:12 AM.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.