Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uses for old planer/jointer knives?

Uses for old planer/jointer knives?

Since sharpening my jointer knives cost almost as much as buying new ones, I bought a new set. I now have three dullish jointer knives and a few sets of old planer knives on a shelf. I may try to sharpen the jointer knives some day, but the planer knives are for the Ridgid, which has a preset depth designed into them. So I was wanting to ask if anyone out there has found other uses for them. New scrapers? Blades for planes? I did find that the old jointer knives worked well for setting the height of the new ones.

2. I've got this urge to drill holes in the end and to screw them into the head of a weed eater so I can run around the neighborhood laughing manically while trimming peoples over grown brush.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hildenbrand View Post
    I've got this urge to drill holes in the end and to screw them into the head of a weed eater so I can run around the neighborhood laughing manically while trimming peoples over grown brush.
    Ha! I like that

Seriously, though- you can grind the edge off ~3/4 of a jointer knife and use it as a marking knife.

I am planning on making detail chisels out of mine.
    Steve

Hmm, great suggestions! I may do both! Keep 'em coming...

Thin kerf parting tools.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Get them sharpened, shouldn't cost more then $12-14.

Well, I checked at a nearby place and it ran $1.50/inch or $27 for my jointer blades. New ones were $30. I didn't think the savings was worth the wait. I still may check around and have the old ones sharpened so I have extras waiting just in case. I'm sure I can make a jig to take care of it myself. The planer blades however may become new tools someday.

If they are standard 3/32" or 1/8" thick jointer knives without holes in them,they make nice narrow chisels,or you could grind a bevel on them across their width and use them for a wider chisel. I essentially made a thin mortising chisel out of 1.

You can also grind bevels on each side of 1 end,and make a nice bench knife out of it. Don't do any twisting with it though! Sink the remaining length into a handle.

Many of the old guys in the millwork shop seemed to take pride in making very long chisels out of old thickness planer blades. Some of them were about 16" long!

I have an idea. I am losing my retail business of 25 years due to this economy. I can use your old blades to slit my wrists.

No slitting wrists! I use old planer/jointer blades for turning tools. See 'rosette cutter' post a few days ago. I have a parting tool made of a 12" x 1" x1/8" planer blade that I've had for 20 years. Still lots of metal to sharpen. Usually these are M2HSS which makes them perfect for this. Use as a straight edge or paper cutter.

Know anyone that forges hand made knives?

Those guys really like to get their hands on most any type of blades.

Any of the suggested uses could be good ideas, but even if there was very little difference between sharpening and buying a new set, I'd have them sharpened rather than chucking them -- throw some work the sharpener's way plus keep useful stuff out of the landfills.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Magbanua View Post
    Uses for old planer/jointer knives?
    Send them to me.

You cannot forge HSS knives. They fall apart and crumble when they get too hot.