Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Uses for old planer/jointer knives?

I know some turners that use they as a scraper. Not a bad idea but I prefer a scraper with a handle keeping my hands further away from the spinning object.

Tony
    Tony

"Soldier On"

Like this?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Use a 12/13" planer blade to make a jig for cutting sandpaper to size for your sander. Fix the blade at both ends down to a board such that you can just slide the paper under the blade. Mark the board at 4.5" and 5.5" marks if quartering the paper.

Be warned that THIN HSS lathe tools can break right in your face,and could hit you in the eye. The HSS lathe tools you normally see for wood turning are MUCH thicker. Reground files can also blow up on you. Back in the 60's I made a nice skew chisel out of a 2" X 1/4"(or thicker) file. I polished all the teeth off,and got the chisel nice and sharp. BLAM! it broke in half instantly,whizzing right past my head. Even annealed files are still pretty brittle because they have the carbon content of a straight razor.

Now,with these new Chinese files,they could just be case hardened. No telling. The one I used was a good Nicholson.

Paul, the turners I know who use them aren't quite as sophisticated as you. Those look like tools that I certainly would try. The folks I know just use the blades as is with a bit of duct tape opposite the business end.

Tony
    Tony

"Soldier On"

I've had a set of old jointer knives I've been saving for years with plans to cut some lengths off them and use them for trimming inlay. I've never gotten around to making this but what I've got in mind is a sort of mini guillotine (sp?) with some straight and mitered fence pieces. Put the inlay against the fence and push or tap the blade down to trim it. Sort of a mini Lion miter trimmer? Dont know if it will work but it seems to make some sense to me.
    Use the fence Luke

Quote Originally Posted by William Nimmo View Post
    I have an idea. I am losing my retail business of 25 years due to this economy. I can use your old blades to slit my wrists.
    I believe he said they were dull.

My 12" jointer knives are 24" knives cut in half from the SCMI planer when they were to short to run in the planner anymore but fit the jointer nicely

Check the website for Dynamic Saw in Buffalo. They have been around for a while, and have a good reputation. Their price is 50 cents per inch for jointer and planer blades. An earlier poster said he checked somewhere and their price was $1.50 per inch. Sounds like those people are putting some kids thru college, or trying to retire early.
    "Non illegitimis corborundum"

I have several and I wonder how one might cut them to shorter lengths. I'd appreciate any suggestions. _howard

Use a carbide cut-off wheel .

Zombie thread.....Lol

Yes, a cutoff wheel in a 4" grinder will work.