Thread: Tool rests

Tool rests

I am looking for a smaller tool rest 8", 6", or 4" for my nova lathe

any recomendations?

thanks

phil

I've heard nothing but good things about Robust tool rests. I plan on getting at least one sometime in the near future.

Brina
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

*** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

I don't have any of the tool rests posted by Richard but I do prefer the rounded bars.

I have the Robert Sorby modular and enjoy it.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I had rounded bars for my mini lathe and liked them. I just upgraded to the Nova and see a Robust in my future. They raffled one off at club the other night (did not win, dxxn) and it looked really nice. Large base for your hand, well finished and a hardened round bar for the lip (should be a lot less maintenance). I got the Nova 4" and it is ok.

Will be shopping for an "S" for bowl making. I bought the Nova, but returned it. It was just very large for what I do.
    Last edited by Mark Hubl; 10-27-2009 at 9:25 PM.

I got a couple of robust rests for my nova DVR , they're great!
    Steve

I also have the robust tool rests and they are excellent. No tool drag and you can still get fingers behind them for delicate work like finials.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

There's a guy on the Pen Turner Association's forum that makes some nice modular rests from hardened steel. Won't nick. I saw a set my friend purchased from him, and they are really well done! Can't remember his name.
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

Can't beat the Robust comfort rests IMO. For a short rest, you might want the low profile version to be easier to reach your hand around.

I'm not a big fan of round bar rests because they keep the contact point too far away from the work. They tend to be good when you are doing larger work with larger tools. For more intricate work, the Robust type rests seem to work better. Try a few and see what type you prefer.

I recently received my Robust curved 12" rest for use on my new Nova. I found it to be first rate and a perfect size for most of my bowls. And the $49 price tag was a nice surprise too. I've asked Santa for the 9" comfort rest. Hope I was a good boy this year...Bill..

I have several round tool rests from Best Wood and the Oneway tool rest. They are very good. The Best Wood is slick; Oneway gives better control.
    But IMO, the Robust is the next level up; it combines the best of both worlds.
    Gordon

Tool rests

Phil,
    Robust 9" on my NOVA. Will add a couple of other sizes shortly. Best tool rests for the price.
    Ernie
    Ernie on-the-dry-side; WA