Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Circular Saw Recommendation

Circular Saw Recommendation

I got out my circular saw tonight to make a cut and could not line it up. I found that it is worn out which is not unexpected since it is 20 years old. I have been doing some looking and did not realize how expensive a new one could be. I like the Festool but it is really out of my price range. I use it mainly for breaking down sheet goods and for making trim cuts on large panels. I need something that has a good solid base which will ride along a guide.

Any suggestions or experiences would be helpful. I am going to have to sell this to my Chief Financial Officer and she can be pretty tough.

I have the Skill big dog worm drive. While it is unstoppable and I use ot for everything: brick, steel, wood, it is awfully heavy.

I've considered getting a lighter one for those quickie cuts or cuts where I'm standing on the top of the step ladder with one foot braced against a wall and one arm gripping a window frame and the other making some bizarre cut at maximum extension.
    You know the saw is heavy then.

Larry,

I have an older Bosch 7-1/4" with a formed (not cast) aluminum baseplate, and a P/C 324.
    I like the PC better. It has a better trigger switch, a nicer cast baseplate, and a more comfortable handle, better depth control, quieter motor, and feels a little lighter.
    Many people like the new Makita 5007 for it's smooth and powerful motor.

I also have the Festool TS55, and I use it on the MFT table primarily in the shop.

If you are looking for a general purpose circular saw, as it sounds, then a traditional non-plunge saw would be my recommendation.

Heavy Duty Tools dot net has some great CS deals occasionally.

Good luck,

Pete

Porter cable mag series. Either left or right side. Super light weight, adjustable exhaust (dust control) and keyless arbor nut (I really like that feature). Many don't like the keyless, but I don't know why. I have never had a problem, I hate haveing to look for a wrench, I change blades frequently. I think the "never to tight" crowd may have had a problem with it. I sugest you go handle a couple of options. Makita, dewalt, milwaukee, porter cable, skill, and bosch. I see what feels best. I liked the porter cable the best.

I've got a PC 743(lefty) and a new DW 738G(new worm drive). Like 'em both a lot. Neither one holds a candle to my old Skil worm drive, though...not even sure of the model number, spec plate was gone when I got it, nearly fifteen years ago. Heavy, but has never bogged down, I swear , it'll drag itself down a board.
    If I was buying new...it would be the DW. Smooth, light and tough.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ryan View Post
    Porter cable mag series. Either left or right side. Super light weight, adjustable exhaust (dust control) and keyless arbor nut (I really like that feature). Many don't like the keyless, but I don't know why. I have never had a problem, I hate haveing to look for a wrench, I change blades frequently. I think the "never to tight" crowd may have had a problem with it. I sugest you go handle a couple of options. Makita, dewalt, milwaukee, porter cable, skill, and bosch. I see what feels best. I liked the porter cable the best.
    I have had the blade get pinched and the bolt loosens up. Only happened once, but I now check it every time (paranoia).
    The P/C was listed in the Deals and discounts forum recently, at Lowe's (discontinued/old model?)
    I use my old worm saw for construction/demolition work, and the sidewinder for everything else. I have had good luck with both Bosch and P/C, but prefer the left blade since I am left handed. (P/C 424 with brake over my Bosch CS20)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    I got out my circular saw tonight to make a cut and could not line it up. I found that it is worn out which is not unexpected since it is 20 years old. I have been doing some looking and did not realize how expensive a new one could be. I like the Festool but it is really out of my price range. I use it mainly for breaking down sheet goods and for making trim cuts on large panels. I need something that has a good solid base which will ride along a guide.

Any suggestions or experiences would be helpful. I am going to have to sell this to my Chief Financial Officer and she can be pretty tough.
    PC mag. 325 ( dust collection and electric brake) Best to use with an edge guide. ( Cast magnesium base with high sides for good contact)

Easy sell to your CFO,

Get a new Skil Mag worm drive. Marginally lighter than the old model. So many here say they have one 15 years old. If you buy one, you'll still be using it 15 years from now. I got mine used, still going strong. Need to add oil every couple years. No big deal. Cuts straight as an arrow. Easy to control.

Blog Entries
    I like Makita........
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

I just went through this a month or so ago - there is a really long and helpful thread that I started that should give you a lot of advice. I ended up w/ the Makita 5007MGA.

The Milwaukee 6577-20 worm drive is on sale for $100 shipped from Tyler Tool with "TT102709" code thru 10/30
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

12. I have three circular saws.
    1. a 40 year old super light 6.5 inch Skill saw that is not too powerful
    but perfect for the top of the step ladder cut small stuff jobs.
    2. a 15 year old very powerful Skill Professional that is decently light
    and has a great trigger ( like a rifle ) and sight window.
    3. a 29 dollar "on sale" saw that I use for nasty stuff and framing
    and chopping and other dirty junk non precision jobs
    This is the one I use the most actually and I am surprised
    it has held up and done the good job that it has. Skill is
    the brand actually also.

With the real powerful lighter sidewinders, I just dont see the
    need for the heavy bulky worm drives. So what the worms may
    last a bit longer but today's premium hi power sidewinders
    are going to last a heck of a long time also and you could by
    two or more of em for the cost of a worm drive. When you can
    get 13 or 15 amps in a sidewinder, I no longer really see the benefit
    of a worm drive except for very rare special situations where
    the worm might be easier to keep on mark.

Oh yea, when I use my skill professional model I often am using
    the rip guide along with it. I think most people have forgotten
    the rip guides even exist.

My point is figure out what you want to do and dont overspend
    or get bigger than you really need. Just like routers, many times
    I prefer to use the roto tool instead of the gigantic 3.5 hp behemoth.

The only really special purpose circular are those ones with
    9, 10 or 12 inch blades for the log home builders. There,
    even the worms wont help.

Just to throw a unique model out there, to compete with the Festool TS55 is the Makita SP6000K 6-1/2-Inch Plunge Circular Saw.

Other than that, I don't think you can go wrong with most of the saws mentioned here though I will recommend you go to a box store to determine if you like worm drive, tilt-lock, etc...

Find one that feels right for you in a store, THEN shop for the best price.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Tsutsui View Post
    Just to throw a unique model out there, to compete with the Festool TS55 is the Makita SP6000K 6-1/2-Inch Plunge Circular Saw.

Other than that, I don't think you can go wrong with most of the saws mentioned here though I will recommend you go to a box store to determine if you like worm drive, tilt-lock, etc...

Find one that feels right for you in a store, THEN shop for the best price.
    Chris,
    You can't use any plunge saw off the rails.
    Why spend the money for the Makita SP6000K that is limited
    ( for track only use) and not for the new makita's MGA's that you can use off, next and even on the tracks?
    The anti-kickback feature of the makita plunge saw don't work off the rails.

Forget about the cost and availability of the 6-1/2" blades.

Well if he uses this saw to rip large sheet goods and making trim cuts on large panels. Then his "usage" doesn't require the saw to be used off the guides.

For his usage of ripping large sheet goods and making trim cuts on large panels, to me a track saw was a lot easier and more convenient to use compared to using a standard circ saw + guide.

For 6.5" blades, you can just order one online at Amazon.com. Or just put in a 6.25" blade in there and get TS55 sized blades which there are many quality ones to choose from.

It's not the cheapest option to go with a track saw, but i believe it's a clear step above using a circular saw + guide.