Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delta 15" planer is home

Delta 15" planer is home

I picked this up from a guy at work. I have lots of cleaning to do and I want to lubricate everything but the price was right. The motor sounds great, so quiet compared to my craftsman lunchbox. I am sure this will be much like the jointer, I don't know how I lived without it...

I really wasn't looking for a new planer, but I saw this deal and I couldn't pass it up. I really need a bandsaw more but I work exclusivly with rough sawn timber so it will be a good addition.

As required I have attached a few pictures, one shows the rust on the table and one shows a small corner that I cleaned up. I used the Boeshield acid on that corner and cleaned it up in about 5 seconds. I was late getting into the house but I just had to see how it was going to clean up.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Nice planer.

From the last pic it sorta looks like there is a gearbox on the right where some oil may have leaked onto the stand?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    Nice planer.

From the last pic it sorta looks like there is a gearbox on the right where some oil may have leaked onto the stand?
    That's weird how that showed up in the picture, I looked in the garage and it's not as pronounced but it is there.

There is definately a gear box that has oil in it there, before I run it (for more than 10 seconds) I am going to open it up and clean it out..

Lots of work but it should be somewhat fun
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Smile

WOW, that will be fun and really not too much work. That will make you a great planer. I love cleaning up old equipment.

Please post pics of your gearbox

I have the same planer, bought a year or so ago. About a month after I bought it, I noticed oil down the stand. So I tightened up the bolts on the gearbox. A few were rather loose.

However, I am also wondering what's inside there and if I need to put more oil in there. I'd like to take it apart and see.

So if you do take it apart, please take some pics and post them so we (I) can see what's in there and how much of a job it is. Ideally I'd replace the gasket while I was in there.

Mine has a Byrd head, so I know it's been apart at least once.

I had that problem with mine, and the fix was to RTV where the factory vinyl seal should have, well, sealed. When you take that side plate off, if you're lucky, the gears will all stay on the outside. According to Byrd tool, these gears and other parts often fall all over the place. They have some great details on the gearbox if you check the installation instructions for the Byrd head on a generic 4 post planer.
    I long for the days when Coke was a cola, and a joint was a bad place to be. (Merle Haggard)

Jeff,

What is this Boeshield acid you speak of?

Where can I get some?

I have a bandsaw table that needs similar treatment.

I am familiar with Boeshield, but not the acid stuff.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Shupe View Post
    Jeff,

What is this Boeshield acid you speak of?

Where can I get some?

I have a bandsaw table that needs similar treatment.

I am familiar with Boeshield, but not the acid stuff.
    http://www.boeshield.com/

Boeshield Rust Free - it works great!
    oops ....1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 - yup all there, whew!

Thanks, Rob.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Wright View Post

Works great, but smells TERRIBLE! Like rotten eggs...

You can buy replacement handles for the one missing on the large handwheel from MSC. Just measure the dia. of the hole. Some of them press fit into the hole.

Chaining oil seals

Jeff,

I replaced the oil seals and some bearings in my Delta 15" planer recently. I can type a "how to" if anybody is interested. Sorry I can't take pictures since I have it all back together now. It's not very hard to do. i can even tell you the bearing numbers, oil seal numbers, etc. The two oil seals will cost about $2.50 each.

Hi Wayne-

Please post the bearing numbers and your source for the seals. My planer has continued to leak so I might have to get into it.
    Also, how long did it take you to get it apart, do the work and get it back together. Just looking for a ballpark so I can know how much time to allow.

I have the same planner, but my shop has not been used for several years until a couple weeks ago. I had noticed the same oil stains on mine. A friend wants use to do some work so he came over and cleaned up the shop. I noticed the oil was gone and didnt think anymore about it. Now I am concerned. Can the level be checked. It may be easier to add ever couple years rather than risk taking it apart. I probably have never planned more that a few hundred BF. Is this a factory defect?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Wright View Post

I love the stuff but have heard horror stories from folks who didn't read the directions. This is an acid. Don't squirt it on and then go in and go to bed, don't use it to clean your glasses, etc. . It has removed those deep shadows in cast iron that nothing else seems to be able to get at. I follow up with a mineral spirits scrub and a good wax job.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler