Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone for deer horns?

Anyone for deer horns?

This is a little off the turning track but it all turned out right for me! I am an avid outdoors man and hunter and finally got a chance to get out with out the rain, snow wind driving me out of the woods! Here is a buck I got yesterday morning with a nice rack of bone on its head, just to make the pen turners drool wishing they could have them to make some pens out of! Also here is a group picture of what I have finished in the last week. I will take some better individual pictures later, as I have to go get the buck taken care of and put in the freezer.

Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Nice turnings and what a great buck! Well done on both.

EXCELLENT buck! So far, they have been eluding me, but I am hopeful that the rut activity here will start to get a bit hotter in the next couple weeks. I imagine you are further along into the rut from the look of the neck on that buck and being further north usually makes a difference, as well.

Nice work on the turnings, too, although I will admit I opened the pic of the buck first!!

Nice buck, Jeff. They've been eluding me as well and last weekend was nothing but rain and snow in Price county.

Nice turnings too, by the way.

Cyril

Nice buck. Glad you got one. They cause a lot of motorcycle wrecks around here and thus a lot of work for me... Happy to see you make the roads a little safer.

Looking forward to seeing the individual shots of the turnings

Beautiful pieces and nice buck. I'm looking forward to the individual pictures, those are some rather large turnings.

Great looking buck! My nine year old granddaughter got her first deer this year. A doe at 104 yds thru the heart.

That is a great looking group of turnings. I'll be looking forward to the individual pics.
    Chris

What! There's no coffee!!?

Jeff,
    Great looking bowls and an awesome buck. To take a buck like that with a cross bow has to be a adrenaline rush for sure. The buck looks to have good mass as well as symmetry. A stealth gloat for sure.
    Jack

Great buck Jeff and some good looking turnings.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Jeff - Congrats on the buck! Nice size to him and yet young enough to be good eating!

Great bunch of turnings - looking forward to seeing the individual shots!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Thanks all for your comments!

Well I have been hunting for about 36 years and it never gets boring! I love to be out there and seeing everything and smells of the fall forest is wonderful! I got this buck out of my honey hole stand, it is at a natural crossroads in the woods and is a transition zone between a swamp and an oak ridge. They like to bed on the ridge at night or early morning before feeding down through the brush and into the swamp grass for a little longer daytime nap. This is the 7th nice buck out of the same tree so I am going to keep using it till it dies! The turnings are a great collection of different things with some beautiful pieces of wood. My cousin reopens the gallery in the new location next Wednesday and I will take most of them up to her on Monday. It is in a much better area and should have 10 times the traffic of customers and she dropped her commission rate too as her over head is much smaller, it should be a good thing!

To all the hunters it is just getting started here for the rut and in the last 3 or 4 days I have seen lots of deer moving and the next 2 weeks will be good!

Good luck to all and thanks again,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Don't understand deer hunting for sport. It's quite another thing if you need to hunt for survival. Those big sad brown eyes, and that tough gamey meat.
    Too bad we couldn't level the field and mount a crossbow on their heads to hunt you back. Just sittin up there in your tree stand getting fat. ...Now there's a hunt!
    PS Nice turnings though.

Hey Jim, no one in this thread has mentioned killing for sport. At the risk of further hijacking Jeff's thread, and starting a small war over the hunting issue, suffice it to say I feel considerably better killing my own meat (and yes I do eat it and like it) than I do paying someone to kill it for me, i.e. Krogers, McD's, etc. There seems to be a certain honor to that versus the Pilot's approach of washing one's hands and letting someone else get bloody. Nonetheless, I do enjoy a good beef steak every now and then compliments of another animal murderer!!
    Last edited by John Keeton; 10-28-2009 at 2:27 PM.

Just a friendly warning to keep this turning related. Enough said.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Point well taken, Steve. I will not comment further - thanks!