Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone for deer horns?

Nice turnings, Jeff. For those of you who haven't turned antler yet, open a window when you do. Not a good smell.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Those are nice turnings and that's a nice buck, too.

I don't hunt but I have friends that do and I'm well supplied with antlers.

If the antler is dried out, it doesn't have much smell at all when turning it. New antler smells like hair burning.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Jeff, nice turnings and a great looking buck too. Is that a Parker Crossbow? Looks very much like mine from the angle of the photo.

Tony
    Tony

"Soldier On"

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kirkpatrick View Post
    Don't understand deer hunting for sport. It's quite another thing if you need to hunt for survival. Those big sad brown eyes, and that tough gamey meat.
    Too bad we couldn't level the field and mount a crossbow on their heads to hunt you back. Just sittin up there in your tree stand getting fat. ...Now there's a hunt!
    PS Nice turnings though.
    Well Jim I do not hunt for the sport of it at all! I eat every bit of the meat off the deer and may put 4 or 5 in the freezer each year. You can make all the sad brown eye comments you want untill you have to pull a few of them out of the middle of the highway after they are run over by cars and semis and are still alive. My buck died in 30 seconds and the road hit deer? They suffer a lot more than what any ethical hunter would do. Have you ever seen a starving deer in the winter because the land won't support the herd? I think not, but this is no place to get into the debate about hunting and food and all the other ignorant things that are said about hunting and guns and whatever. If you eat meat and wear leather you should really not say anything. I have been hungry a time or two in my life and the venison I can't use myself goes to the food pantries and neighbors and other family members who like venison. The meat is not gamey at all if you know how to take care of the deer after it is harvested. Your complete lack of knowlege of the hunters world and what we do shows in your comment.

Thats all on that,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Ten point crossbow

Tony , It is a ten point crossbow lots of them look alike nowdays, I would still be using my regular bow if my shoulders weren't so messed up. I can hardly pull it back anymore even after I dropped the weight. That is why woodturning is what I do most, it seems to not hurt as bad as other things. I dug a 2' hole with a posthole digger the other day and that really is not a good action to do with torn rotator cuffs! But a little pain for some happy gain is always worth it!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Great buck! Nice turnings!

I respect the fact that you hunt. That is your right. But this is a woodworking forum not a hunting forum and in my mind, a picture of you holding an innocent animal you slaughtered was offensive to me and I'm sure others. I think this whole thread should be deleted, or at the very least, the picture removed.
    PS I don't eat meat and I don't wear leather or furs.

Nice turnings! Very nice deer! How much did he weigh in at? Looks like a cow! I love meat!!

very fine effort

Jeff,
    Very fine on both counts!!
    Well Done, Keep it up.
    Peter

Turnings GOOOOD.......Meeeeeaaaat GOOOOOOODDDER!!!!!

Great turnings Jeff and congrats on a nice Buck. Hey if we wern't supposed to eat meat it wouldn't taste so good
    "There is nothing more dangerous than a resourcful idiot".....Dilbert

Nice!! Bowls and bucks. Better in your freezer than through the windshield of my car. Recreational hunting provides needed population control on the deer herds and prevents needless suffering from starvation in overpopulated area. I don't hunt anymore, but I recognize the need for recreational hunting programs. Without them all the vegetables would be eaten.

Hey Jeff,
    I love the turnigns, love the deer, and the bow. I was lucky enough to get one with the same piece of equipment. The venison is my favorite meet. I have some antlers from a few years ago and plan to make a pen for my brother who also hunts. I have a great marinade recipe I will send you.

Marc Himes

Both are great! Congratulations!

Great stuff Jeff! I'd love to get a crack at a buck like that.

Personally, I am extremely offended by folks who are offended by hunting pictures and feel any such posts/threads should be deleted .
    Last edited by Barry Stratton; 10-28-2009 at 11:40 PM.
    Officially Retired!!!!!!!! Woo-Hoo!!!

1,036 miles NW of Keith Burns

Folks - Steve already posted one warning. Even though the rhetoric has stayed civil so far, ANY MORE buck comments - positive or negative - and this thread goes away. That would be a shame because those are some nice turnings.